From Alaska to Argentina

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by paraisoscondido, Jan 23, 2010.

1. paraisoscondido

paraisoscondido New Member

Hi,
    we are preparing this touring trip and we are looking for a good two frames (man and woman) and I´d love to know experiences and brands from people who has done long distances touring
    Thanks

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Surly Long Haul Trucker.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My friend and his wife did the Continental Divide on Rohloff-equipped mountain bikes.

As to the question posed by the OP, I am confused. I would expect anyone with thoughts of undertaking such a ride would have a pretty good idea of the equipment required.

4. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Surly and Heron come to mind. Waterford, too. Don't you know any good framebuilders who are local to you? Assenmacher would be near the top of my list, if for no other reason than that they're 45 miles from my house. OTOH, I'd worry about the wheels more than the frame; most name brand touring frames will be plenty strong enough.

Where in Alaska are you starting? I'd want to do the part through Alaska and Canada supported. Towns (and food) are few and far between up there.

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

A pair of those hubs cost more than my wife and bring home after taxes in a month. *jealous*

Sun rims CR-18 36 hole rims. Not the lightest or the prettiest but ridiculously strong and made to go the distance.

6. Industry_Hack

He, um, used to own a website you happen to frequent. ;)

7. paraisoscondido

Thanks

Hi all,
    I´m new in this forum
    Thanks everybody for all your sugestions,
    I´ve been all my life on bikes any kind I had a chance but never I thought doing something as Alaska to Argentina but 3 years ago looking at a map I saw the american continent and I´m crazy about see this beautiful world so It was there when I sai to my self why you don´t do it at the begining the idea was just cross the 2 continents however publics transport, hitchhicking... But why not with a bike is my favorite transport,it´s after walking the most human speed to travel and see the world, I´ve got as much time as the life wants to give me, so..
    We´ve found someone who belives us a charity down in England, Childreach" and with all the help that anybody who belive on us Marta we are going to cycle down from The north of the Planet to the South,
    so any help, sugestions, experience you have having done touring
    I´d be more than happy learning from it
    Thanks
    raul

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

A family member did a ride from Washington to Iowa on a recumbent. Took a massive amount of planning. He said the Mountains were absolutely brutal, much more intense then they had even imagined.

9. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Whew! No long-distance self-supported experience, either! You're going to have to pack your own food and water, and learn to keep it away from bears and other wildlife. I think you're in for a real ADVENTURE!

10. paraisoscondido

Rohloff

Hi,
    I´ve been checking the Rohoff website do you know the one your friends used(frame) did the have any problem at all?
    Thanks

11. Industry_Hack

They are running them on Santa Cruz mountain bikes, with zero trouble at all, including lots of muddy riding in Costa Rica.

12. paraisoscondido

Thanks

The stigmata one looks very good,