Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife thinks I have lost my mind. I have decided to do something in late May that I have wanted to do for over two decades. I plan on starting with my rear tire in the water of the Red River off hwy 78 north of Bonham and end with my front tire in the surf on Galveston beach 5 days later. What do y'all think, crazy? Maybe, but admit it, it sounds like a blast. The problem? I suffered a heart attack on December the 20th at work. No surgery needed just some rest and a slow build back up. I plan on traveling down 19 most of the way. Any advice on the route would be most appreciated.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
If your Dr.( and your wife buys into it :D ) is good with it, have a blast! Looking at it on the map I would be curious what your plans are when you get south around the Houston area. I think I would have to stay way east and come around on 124 or something. Can you post your route? There are several places I would have to stop and enjoy for a while I think!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sounds fun. Like Rola said, I'd get the blessings from the doc and the wife being so close to a heart attack. Looks like about 360 mile trip so around 70+ miles a day. Don't know your fitness level, but seems doable. Are you going self supported? Camping or lodging? Sorry for all the questions but would love to do something like this is the future.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Punisher,

I think your schedule is a bit ambitious, even if you travel light by using motels, or having someone carry your stuff. Riding approx 400 mi in 5 days means you have to average 80 miles/day. Most cross country cycle tourists average something closer to 50 or 60 mi/day. You might consider allowing 2 or 3 more days just in case.

Can't comment on the route.

[edit - added ] No matter how many days you decide to take, the trip sounds like a blast. Good tour!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rola643 said:
If your Dr.( and your wife buys into it :D ) is good with it, have a blast! Looking at it on the map I would be curious what your plans are when you get south around the Houston area. I think I would have to stay way east and come around on 124 or something. Can you post your route? There are several places I would have to stop and enjoy for a while I think!
I do plan to stay east of Houston, it's going to add some miles to the trip but coming down the coastline should be pretty nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poolie said:
Sounds fun. Like Rola said, I'd get the blessings from the doc and the wife being so close to a heart attack. Looks like about 360 mile trip so around 70+ miles a day. Don't know your fitness level, but seems doable. Are you going self supported? Camping or lodging? Sorry for all the questions but would love to do something like this is the future.
My wife is going to travel by car and drive ahead of me in short bounds. Give her some time to stop at the little craft shops and such. We are considering inviting her parents, I have to put tons of thought to that option. I have pretty much decided on hotels for the night, but that's subject to change. I am already back up to an average ride each morning of twelve miles, so my fitness level is returning, I am on the DASH eating plan, it's making a world of difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LarryM said:
Punisher,

I think your schedule is a bit ambitious, even if you travel light by using motels, or having someone carry your stuff. Riding approx 400 mi in 5 days means you have to average 80 miles/day. Most cross country cycle tourists average something closer to 50 or 60 mi/day. You might consider allowing 2 or 3 more days just in case.

Can't comment on the route.

[edit - added ] No matter how many days you decide to take, the trip sounds like a blast. Good tour!
Yea, I agree I am actually allotting eight days of vacation for that time frame but am hoping to get it done in five. The first stage will be the longest from the Red river to Greenville, Texas. I will travel down highway 19 the bulk of the ride. I also will have a better idea of route weekend after next we plan on driving down and back to get familiar and lay out our strategies somewhat better. As iride I will have only basic tools, tubes, camelback and energy bars, nuts and fruit. The major stuff will be with my wife in the car, a phone call away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts