From Lake Wobegon Trail Country

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cliff, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Hello... I am from the heart of Lake Wobegon Trail Country in Central Minnesota ... home of the one & only Caramel Roll Ride. The ride happens the 2nd week of June each year. I live just off the Lake Wobegon Trail and my wife & l ride the trail several times a week for fun and exercise... [URL="www.lakewobegontrails.com"]www.lakewobegontrails.com[/url]... Come visit and enjoy a sweet roll on a sweet trail! Cliff ... I am also President of the Lake Wobegon Trails Association.

Our trail along with our trails partner the Central Lakes Trail ...www.CentralLakesTrail.com ... hope to become part of Adventure Cycling's Northern Tier cross country cycling route. Check out the current Northern Tier Route here.

Hope to see you on the trail... Happy trails to you! Cliff

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Welcome! I grew up listening to Garrison Keillor, so I know a little of your area.

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

4. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

"Where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Welcome! I'm going to be driving through your fine state in September on my way up to Ely and the BWCA.

5. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

The Lake Wobegon Trail ... where all the visitors are above average.

Mrs M and I had an absolutely delightful ride on your trail last week.

One day we rode 35 mi (Round Trip) from St. Joseph to Albany, exploring the towns and snapping a picture a mile. Ate at the Village Bean in Albany, then headed back to stock up on fresh bread and fruit at a Farmer's Market at the St. Joseph Depot.

Next day we headed north out of Albany, intending to do a 50 or 60 miler. Got rained on pretty good near Bowlus, so we turned around and took refuge in Jordies Trailside Cafe ... Had a great lunch and pie and a spent a lot of time reading the cyclist's log book. Ended up riding about 40 miles RT.

And BTW, if you were the guy we met at the Holdingford Depot, the one who chased the half dozen cows off the trail ... You shook a few of 'em up pretty good. I rolled thru a cow pie still warm and steaming from the cow. Still cleaning that stuff from my tires.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Lake Wobegon Trail is on your way!

Nigel ... consider a littel detour before or after your BWCA trip and visit us here in Lake Wobegon Trail country. You could do a little trip on the Mississippi River too while you're in the area ... I think I can round up a bike or two and a canoe if you're interested.

Beware of the skeeters and black flies in the BWCA! September should be a great time to enjoy it though. Cliff

7. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Larry ... glad to have you visit our fine trails in MN! Hope to see you back again soon... by the way you may want to schedule a trip back the 2nd weekend in June next year for our Annual Caramel Roll Ride... we have the usual refreshments and we have the best caramel rolls you'll find anywhere. And the best of all is each rest area is spaced just far enough apart to allow you to burn up all the calories from one caramel roll so you can havde another one at the next stop! Cliff

PS... it wasn't me that chased the cows but I saw the remnants yesterday when I rode to Bowlus from Holdingford.

8. Cliff

Cliff New Member

He comes to Avon occasionally to eat at a restaurant called Fishers Club. It's neat little place that's been around since the 1920's and serves the best walleye dinner around!

Garrison was there on the 4th of July for the Annual Lake Wobegon Community Choir reunion to sing patriotic songs and enjoy an evening on the lake. It was a great time and beautiful evening.

9. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Funetical ... thanks! Is Central Texas what's called the "Hill Country"?

10. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Whyeyebike... Thanks. We've been out to your part of the world too and hope to get back and do some biking out there too. We have a son living in Norwalk CT area that we visit at least once a year. Cliff

11. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Welcome to the party!