Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a new used road bike--I've only ridden mountain bikes before, so it's a little hard to get use to.

The part that worries me the most is the handlebars. My hands are so close together that any tiny movement they make, dramatically changes the direction of the bike! I feel reasonably stable on the bike, but the sensitivity of the bike has me a little concerned. I'm also concerned about braking for that reason. Plus the brakes are awkward for me because they're now oriented vertically instead of horizontally.

Any suggestions? Should I get a wider/longer handlebars? Should I just try to get used to it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wide bar is a 48 cm made by Nitto. These are a little hard to find. Most of my bars are 46 cm wide for the reason you stated.
I stay away from carbon bars on good advice from my bike technician who has repaired bikes for years. He has a broken carbon parts box in his shop to prove his point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question! I've ridden it about 15 minutes.

The front brakes make a horrible squeak, the cable for the rear brakes is... missing. And the derailleur cables are present, but rusted solid and immovable. I thought riding on it for 15 minutes was reckless enough.

Needless to say, I have some work to do...

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I like the road bars on my Jamis touring bike, a lot more comfy on a long ride than the flat bar on my Fuji flat bar road bike.
It seams like you nead to give that bike some much neaded care.
Have fun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I place my hands on the lower curved part of the handlebars, I feel a little unstable, like my center of gravity is too far forward. If I hold on to the top horizontal part of the handlebars, it's a little better... but I can't reach the brakes easily from that position...

The frame feels comfortable, although I have to have the seat all the way down. I don't feel like I'm overstretching at all reaching the handlebars--so I think the frame is okay.

What do you guys think? I'm going to put the cables in now...

·
Registered
66 Posts
This whole things sounds like a nitemare to me. First of all, if the seatpost is all the way down, you got the wrong bike. No point in going any farther. YouR road bike to mountain bike fit should be perty close. Im actually more comfortable on my roadbike than a mountain bike cuz I hate ridin upright. Once you learn the advantages of cheating the wind its hard to go back. but I have 40 years of training my body to the "coiled position". I could help you if I could see you and your bike. My advice would be for you to find a good local cyclist or bike shop for help. Seriously.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sonuvabitch...:hate:

The frame must be too big. At least I only paid $50 for it. Maybe that's still a ripoff price...

I guess I'll ride it around until I have enough money for something better that's actually my size. Right now it's my only means of transportation and I should at least be able to use it to get groceries faster.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Banned
430 Posts
If the bike is even close to fitting you correctly, you should find the bike to be MORE stable with your hands on the drops, or on top of the brake hoods (nice, relaxed grip, like a bird's feet on a perch). Steering from the tops gives you a place to relax and sit up a little, to look around or behind you, or grab water bottles, or spray dogs etc.

It will take getting used to. Try putting your hands on the "elbows" of the drops, where you can reach the brake levers.
It should feel about the same as holding the brake hoods. If it hurts your back, or you feel hunched over (seat pinching you?) probably raising the stem or tilting the seat forward 1 notch will help.

Remember to Counter Steer. When you think of bike steering this way, it makes a world of difference!
This video shows it so well. Yes it works on bicycles, esp those at high speed and with large wheels or heavy tires.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWb3lGjF928]Countersteering - YouTube[/ame]

Unrelated: prog metal that will blow your mind Blotted Science - Cretaceous Chasm - YouTube

1 - 12 of 12 Posts