Front/Back rim interchangeability?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Bobby_M, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Bobby_M

Bobby_M Guest

Hi, new to forum and pretty green as far as bikes go but I had a question. I have two mountain bikes, each with a trashed back wheel. (probably by backing over them with a minivan). I'd like to build one functional bike without buying anything. Can I remove the axle and cassette off of one back wheel and combine it with the front wheel off the donor bike? If not, I presume the only other way would be to completely respoke the good rim onto the damaged hub.

I appreciate any help.

Bobby

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

You can't turn a front hub into a rear. You would have to rebuild the damaged rear wheel with a good rim. If it's not too bad, you may be able to true it. If it can't be trued, Wheels can be had pretty cheap and sometimes for free. Post something up on your local mtb forum or check Craig's list. I probably have an old wheel that I'm not using that you could have for the price of shipping. I'll be out of town until 7/13, so if you can't find one before then, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I have.

-Scott

3. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Nope cant interchange em. Front is front and rear is rear only. Just find a cheap replacement either from craigslist or from a friend (like someone on twospoke)