front derailuer problem

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by chibibike, Mar 10, 2011.

1. chibibike

chibibike Banned

I just took off my back wheel and put a new tire on and put the wheel back on and then i noticed my cable going to my front derailer has a lot of slack like it stretched out and now it's all out of wack cause I was trying to fix it and I donno what I'm doing. why did that happen. maybe it was already like that and I didn't notice? so weird.

2. ReCYCLE

ReCYCLE New Member

Hmm.. I think your right.

3. chibibike

chibibike Banned

I just bought it a couple weeks ago will the bike shop fix it?

4. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

Depends on the shop. If the shop set your limits properly to begin with you may be able to simply loosen the bolt and pull the cable tight again.

5. chibibike

chibibike Banned

well they told me after you ride it a while bring it back for adjustment and I think they said soemthing about free adjustments for life.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Careful, they may decide to kill you instead of adjusting your cables.

7. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Oh man....does the phrase " A fly on the wall" come into play?

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

well they told me after you ride it a while bring it back for adjustment and I think they said soemthing about free adjustments for life.

:D

9. chibibike

chibibike Banned

oh.. I C not a very good joke :p

10. cwtrials

cwtrials Biking With a Mission

Bring it back to the shop.
    Cables stretch fairly significantly in the first couple weeks of riding. This is why most shops offer a quick adjustment after use. Don't wait too long. We used to do it when I was a mechanic. We also pre-stretched the cables as much as possible: If done properly it can help prevent this, if not it can screw things up.

11. chibibike

chibibike Banned

ok i took it and just got out a bit ago. he was working on it for about 30 min adjusting everything i seemed. it works perfect now.

12. chibibike

chibibike Banned

ok so i went back to the lbs cause i forgot to get some shim things to put between my tube and my new bike lock holder so this guy gave me them but he took forever asking me what exactly i was trying to do and I was thinking wtf just give me some so I was explaining and trying to show him and he kept looking at my chest i want him to get fired or something.