Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Motobecane Cafe Latte with Tektro disc brakes. I'm having a problem with the front disc pad, specifically the inner pad, rubbing the rotor. Tried everything I can think of including adjusting the pad space and adjusting the skewer in relation to the dropout. Run out of ideas. Any help? If I adjust the pad out far enough that the pad does not rub I have excessive play in the hand control.

Attachments

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have Disc on 2 of my bikes and getting the calipher alined was a job not just alined but running parallel with the rotar and the spaceing right . what I did was loson the ajustment bolts and tighten the pads so that thay held the calipher then I aplided the brake with a furniture clamp, then tightend the alinment bolts, take off clamp and disajusted the pads for clerance.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
Have you tried using the two bolts that hold the caliper onto the adapter? If you've use those, and the pad adjuster properly, then you've down most everything you can. In that case if you have bought the bike recently I would bring the bike back to the shop.

In the past I had a fork where the disc tabs were welded a little bit too far to the outside and couldn't get the pads to stop rubbing, so I had to take about 2mm off my adapter (i.e. mounting bracket deal)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I took another look again yesterday and considered the suggestions then something crossed my mind and here's what I tried. I looked at the orientation of the front wheel to the handlebar and sure enough the bar was very, very slightly off center. Long story short here's what I did; 1) correct orientation of handlebar to wheel so they are in a straight line, 2) reset wheel in dropout, 3) readjust inner pad adjustment and take up excess play in hand control. Result, no more rub or excess play in hand control. All because the wheel and handlebar where very slightly out of true. Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, what I should have said was that I corrected the orientation of the handlebar to the fork, not the wheel. My mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts