FSA Gossamer Compact MegaExo

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by jagonz456, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

I see a lot of bikes on the market are stocked with FSA crankset. I know they do this to save money but I just had a very bad experience with my new bike. The shifting was horrible the front big chain ring was not picking up the chain. My first road bike came with Shimano sora crankset and i have to say that the low end shimano shifted better than the FSA crank that was sold to me in my new road bike and the bike was almost double the cost. I remember when you could buy bike from a bike shop and ride it out the bike shop stock and not have any problems. now you have to change the wheels,seat,tires and crankset in order to get the performance you should be getting on OEM parts. Has any one else had any problems with FSA crankset?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. anthonylimoman

anthonylimoman New Member

i have over 1000 miles on mine and no problems
    2010 trek 1.2

3. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

Thats great i am glad you are happy with your crank. Have you ever rode on anything else or is this your first road bike? The Trek 1.2 use to come with Shimano sora cranks and now to save money they give you a FSA.

4. anthonylimoman

anthonylimoman New Member

this is my first road bike

5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I found it was me I was hesatating on the shift, if I concentrate it shifts every time. and the hi end stop is real tutchy on ajustment.
    I have about 500 miles on the bike.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. JamisRider

JamisRider New Member

Yeah, bike makers keep the cost down on lower tier road bikes by specing cheaper cranksets. I just swapped out the original FSA crankset on my bike for a Shimano 105. Much cleaner shifting now that I'm running a full 105 drivetrain.

7. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

I just upgraded to an ultegra crankset and the difference is huge. I will stay loyal to shimano from here on out. I can understand if your buying a $700-1000 that they give you a FSA crankset but now they are including them in bikes well over $1500 this is not fair at that price point you should get quality. wild if you are having problems with the chain getting into gear in the front chain rings i would look into replacing the crankset you have the same FSA crankset i had.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. wild

Thanks I will keep on it . mine it seams to be in the shifter, I don't allways get a smoth complete stroke on the thumb shifter, I seam to be dubble clutching it.:rolleyes:

9. wild

I moved my shifter under the bar a little further and I get a clean stroke now no dubble clutching it. :D

10. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

Got mine (gossamer compact 50/34) for about 1000 miles no problemes at all ... for who have some probleme just see if your front derailleur is well adjusted and/or aligned ... :)