FSA SL-K Light Crankset

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Xela, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Anybody have any experience with these? With Campy drivetrain? I can get a smoking deal on a set, but I've read some reviews that say the shifting is sub-par, and the chain has a tendency to drop off with downshifting. The main advantage of these over my current Records, is my Records are still the old square taper with the internal bearings. I can get a new set of the FSAs for 100 bucks at a place where I have a gift-card already. Think it's worth the gamble?

2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I have a FSA K on one of my bikes (shimano tho) and I think it's great! Stiff and no problems with shifting... as far as that goes you can always mount your Campy rings on it if you want... and dropping the chain is a problem that no one should have to suffer from....Here's a tip to everyone::: Buy the little Deda "dogtooth" thingy for a couple bucks! It is the absolute best bang-for-buck in the bike world! You will never drop a chain again! Those kind of downshift drops are especially problematic because they often occur just when you've started up a steep incline... you have a little momentum cuz you've cranked on the big gear as long as you could...you shift... and then the chain falls off! You have to stop and fix it while your buddies churn on, disappearing in the distance...and then you have to start up on a steep grade from a dead stop, hard to click in to your pedal and God knows what. Never again!

3. Xela

Thanks for the tips! Though I will say, it's quite rare that my Campy ever drops, that's why I could see myself being real disappointed in the FSA if that starts to happen. It's nice to know there are other options to help minimize this. I also called the mechanic at the LBS after posting this, since I have a small window to decide if I want to take the deal. He said what you did almost exactly (except he didn't mention the dogtooth).

Thanks again! I'm gonna go for it.

4. chh55

Chain drops are almost always the result of the FD being ever so slightly out of adjustment, not the crank set... but as said... never a worry with a dog tooth.

5. Xela

Got about 1000 miles on these now, so should follow-up. I love them! They were about 100 g lighter than my 5 yr old, square taper Records. They are super stiff, but I probably notice the increased stiffness more due to the external bearings than the arms. Very smooth, and no problems with the shifting. Can even do my front/rear simultaneous shifting. Plus, they look cool as hell on the bike. All in all, very happy, especially with the killer deal I got on them.

6. Glyn

Glyn Cycling is my job!

I have the FSA Crankset and front deraileur with the rest of the groupset being Centaur. I do have problems losing the chain when shifting the front chainwheel. It doesn't happen a lot but it always happens at the wrong time.
    I believe that the spring in the FSA deraileur is too strong and swapping it to the Campy one will hopefully solve the problem.
    The FSA Cranks and Chainwheels are fine, very strong and look good.

7. chh55

do yoursellf a favor

Just get a Deda dogtooth and never ever ever worry about chaindrops. Why doesn't everyone use them?? They're cheap, easy to install, foolproof... I don't get it???

8. Glyn

Glyn Cycling is my job!

Thanks for the tip, ordered one today.

9. MitoChondria

MitoChondria New Member

i've ridden the fsa slk and never had that issue. I think they should take a closer look at the front derailleur adjustment if that is an issue with this specific crankset. Often people change cranksets without re-adjusting the FD. There can be slight differences between cranksets that, when the FD doesn't get re-adjusted, results in bad shifting.

For those interested, I have a FSA crankset in great condition that I'm selling in the classifieds. I'm selling it as I'm putting some Powercranks back on the bike, so I have no need for the bottom bracket or those cranks anymore.

10. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Where did you order it from ? I looked but did not find a Deda Dogtooth :(

11. chh55

Deda dog fang

Sorry, do your searching via "Deda dog fang" which is the correct name. Happy hunting!

12. chh55

13. Glyn

Glyn Cycling is my job!

I ordered the K-Edge one, expensive for what it is but it's well made and looks good. I'm in the UK and ordered from Wiggle(who ship world wide) but I do happen to know that Competitive Cyclist in the US sells them.

14. psyclism

psyclism New Member

The dogfang will only work on bikes with a standard round seat tube. If your bike has a manipulated or large diameter seat tube as it nears the bottom bracket, the dog fang won't work. In that case, a K-Edge (or one of its imitators) mounted to a braze-on FD will work.