Fuel

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by pnz, Dec 10, 2009.

1. pnz

pnz New Member

What alternative fuels are available for Two Stroke engines.
    I am looking into alcohol.
    Thinking of building a still. [​IMG]
    What I need to find out is, will pure alcohol and two stroke oil mix, and will the alcohol harm the engine.

Next how can I make my own Two Stroke oil.
    Chicken fat, Pig lard, Burger griddle grease?.

Zooming down the road smelling like a drunken hamburger!

Bye Bye Oil companys, oops tires are rubber and petroleum. Tires made of bamboo, naaa.

Any thoughts,

2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

When you get 'er up and running I'll take 2 gallons! Hope the federalis aren't monitoring us!

Actually the best alternative is to scrap your motor ideas and just pedal!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

3. pnz

pnz New Member

Na, the Doc said before I can start exercising I have to get healthy.
    And boy I got a long ways to go.

4. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Liquor won't help that. Not to mention Distilling is illegal in most states. You can brew just not distill.

5. pnz

pnz New Member

illegal in most states

I am not sure what the legal part is today, but you can get a permit for 100 gallons a year. without a oenology license or permit thru the ATF. And beer and wine is 200 gallons per year. They suppose to issue a permit for fuel, even a farmer that takes his own produce (corn) and make fuel for his own use on the farm to run tractors has to apply for a permit thru the ATF. Laws SUCK, but its either that or the pajamas with nice black and white strips.

6. Ykick

Ykick New Member

Distillation requires a lot of energy - I believe veggie diesel is a practical fuel to consider for home production. Not as many engine choices currently but the efficiency and vast options for making it in small quantities seem to be a very attractive fuel IMO. And I don't think you'll need to worry about the BATF either...

Anybody seen small diesel engines?

7. pnz

pnz New Member

Nuclear fusion, the fusion source for a bicycle would be the size of a golf ball and last close two hundred years. And run electric wheel hub motors, that would be green.
    Governmental Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)

8. MABman

MABman New Member

Actually Alcohol is a really good fuel for 2 stroke engines due to the generally higher compression ratios they have that alcohol thrives on. You need a bit of assistance to get things flowing however in the form of a shot of ether.

Many states are allowing distilling now along with BATF permits because of a boutique distillery movement afoot. The amount of energy necessary to distill is not that bad and can be achieved by several sustainable methods. Get David Blumes book "Alcohol Can Be A Gas" for all the info you should need.

9. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

The buses here run on raps oil, a yellow flower that is also used for cooking oil and margarine. Seems to work in their diesel engines quite well. Smell better too.

10. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I tried the alcohol thing once but I burned out my Flux Capacitor so I went back to burning garbage.

11. Ykick

Ykick New Member

I guess the RC model world uses small diesel engines and here's a guy who blended some veg oil with small amount of other ingredients to produce his own fuel that apparently works in a small, lightweight but very noisy engine.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g0ri5kiRkM]YouTube - Vegetable Oil as Diesel fuel for Model Airplane Engines[/ame]

12. craisin

craisin New Member

on my 50cc 4 stroke 4speed motorbike $5NZ a week and you get to ride every day
    My point is small engines are cheap to run why make things complex

13. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Thanks Doc. LOL

14. neicull

neicull Guest

I know when you run fuel it burns much hotter then gasoline. You coould burn the melt a hole in the piston, melt you plug or burn the rings. A lot of things change when you use different fuels. You might be able to get away with it for a while, it just shortens the life of the internals. Try it the pistons and parts for those motors are super cheap and easy to replace. All in all I agree with craisin, why make things complex.

15. craisin

craisin New Member

well its easy to agree neicull too
    If you were to figure out how much it costs to set up a still in the first place and spent the money on gas you may have a few years running

16. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

The tiny 2-strokes used in model airplanes run on methanol + castor oil.

17. craisin

craisin New Member

well with a bit of applied logic its easy to improve performance on a 2stroke engine and if you stay within the boundries of commonsense it should be more fuel-efficient
    So theres no need to mess with fuel with uncertain benefits
    When I was young it was more fun experimenting with girls:thumbsup: