Fuji Absolute 1.0 or Trek FX 7.6

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by telliemj, Dec 3, 2009.

1. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to biking and I am in the middle of an endless search for the right bike for me. I think I have narrowed it down to either the Fuji Absolute 1.0 or the Trek 7.6 FX. I am looking for peoples opinions on the differences between them.

What I think I have learned is that the rear derailler, chain, and cassette (all shimano 105) for the Absolute is better that the components on the trek. The prices for these bikes are within $10 of eachother. The crank (FSA Gossamer) for the Absolute is a little better than the (FSA vero) for the trek. I really do not know which bike wins in the front derailler category due to the fact that Fuji doesnt use a normal product name for the front derailler (Shimano FD-R773). The trek is a Deore which I believe is a mountain bike derailler. Some people say that the disk brakes are better but other say that the disks on this bike are entry level at best and therefore your better off with the v-brakes. I have heard good things about the Avid BB7's which are not on either of these bikes. Does anyone know if they use the same mounts as the disk brakes on the Fuji? If they do what else would I need to do to convert them? Any thoughts on that?

I think I like the 50T to 11T capability of the trek over the 50T to 12T of the Fuji but I don't know whether it really makes a difference? As far as benifits for Trek the reputation is good and I dont know much about Fuji's reputation. Any thoughts? Also I think I like the Iso-zone Monostay of the Trek frame because even know this will be primarily a road bike, the roads here are not the greatest. Anyone have any feedback on these frames (problems, cracking, noise, etc.)? I have test ridden the trek 7.6 fx but only for a little ways in a parking lot and I think I could tell a difference in the frame from the 7.5 FX but it was hard to tall. I also think the wheels and tires for the trek would be better due to the fact that they have hardcase tires that are 120 psi rated for a smoother ride? Anythoughts on the seats? Part of me thinks that whatever bike I buy, I will need a different seat but another part of me thinks that the iso flex seat on the trek may work for me. I have not tried the seat on the absolute. I realize that some of you may think I am buying a bike that is a little extreme for me seeing as how I am just gettting started in biking really but I am only 24 and I figure I can justify the expense with how long I plan on keeping it. I am sorry to write so much but I have a lot of questions because I am going to be spending so much on this bike. If anyone has any other bikes for me to consider please feel free to comments.

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | 7.6 FX is the site for the trek 7.6 fx which will show all the specs including the ones I already wrote about.

Fuji Bikes - Absolute 1.0 is the site for the Fuji Absolute 1.0

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I can't help with your questions but I am looking to get a Fuji Absolute 1.0 I hope thay get one in soon at our LBS.

3. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Yeah tell me about it

I know what you mean. I have not been able to find one yet in stores which is another reason why I'm having a hard time deciding.

4. wild

It don't look good the Absolute not being out a month befor X-mass. I would hope a problum din't crop up. I can't belive that the disk brake adds 2# to the bike as the 2009 was listed as 22.64# for the 1.0 and the 2010 is listed as 24.68# . I don't think it will make a big differnce for me as I am 244#. And I am glade it is mecanical disk brake not a juice brake, I think I will give the LBS a call today when thay opean after 10 I was there last week not in then.

5. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

Either of those bikes would be great but much depends on what use you intend for the bike.

Fugi is a reputable brand just not as aggressivley marketed as Trek.

I suggest you ride as many bikes as possible in your price range. Ask the LBS if you can ride for 30 minutes or more. The more saddle time you can put in the better you'll know how you and the bike fit. IMO a proper fit is critical to enjoying any time spent riding a bike.

I can't speak to the Fugi Absolute but have some experience with the Trek FX line of hybrids. Mine is a 2009 and unfortunatley Trek has downgraded some of the components for 2010. The Fugi is probably a better value in this regard.

The iso-zone monostay doohickey does what it claims, but will be a tad noisey when it's cold. I like Treks new wheelset over the old two spoke design. The drivetrain was smooth and quiet, but in 2009 OE was 105 cranks.
    The Alpha alum frame is top notch though the welds are unremarkable.

If you like the fit of the Trek, you might consider buying the FX 7.3 and upgrading the components later. In 2009 the FX 7.3 had the same frame as the more costly bikes in the series.

For a smoother ride install bigger, bouncier tires (Schwalbe Big Apple, etc.). The Trek allows plenty of room for wider tires.

Disc brakes perform better than v-brakes in wet conditions, so if you're planning to take the bike out in the rain disc brakes would be a benefit. Kool Stop salmon pads are a good upgrade for v-brakes.

I know you have narrowed your selection to two choices, but Jamis, Cannondale, Specialized and Kona offer some nice biikes in your price range. Ride as many as you can and have fun. If you see a Kona Super Dew with the Scandium frame hop on that and let us know what you think.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Thanks for your input

Thanks you guys I appreciate it and if anyone has anything to add that would be great! As far as the 7.3 FX, the main reason I want the trek is for the Iso-Zone however I do not know really how much it would help me with small cracks in the road, tar snakes, etc. The 7.3 does not have the iso zone and if I was just comparing components and stock aluminum frames (frames without isozone or specialized Zertz insert) I believe the components for the Fuji would win hands down. and other than ride geometry which I have to ride one to try, I would think strength-wise the trek and the fuji should be about equal frames. Do you agree? I will try looking at some of the other makes as well. So far I tried the Gary Fisher Mendota, Trek 7.5 and 7.6 Fx's, Giant Rapid 3 and Rapid 2.

7. wild

Well LBS called back and it looks like Feb. befor thay will have one in, thay did offer to order me a 09 at a reduced price if I wanted. But I think I will hold out for the disc brakes. I guess I will just put some miles on the Quick 6 .

8. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Update

I was supposed to go to my LBS this weekend and try out an Absolute 2.0 just to see if I liked the frame geometry and fit and finish but they sold the one I was going to buy. They did not know when they were going to get another one in and the dealer told me that they would not buy an Absolute 1.0 for stock so in order to try one I would have to buying it without trying it first which I refuse to do.

I think now it is between the Giant Rapid 1, Giant rapid 2 and the Trek 7.6 FX. I pretty much have to decide if I want V-brakes or Dual pull brakes, and if I want a rigid frame or a Iso-Zone Frame. HAHA any thoughts? ALso I am wondering how the Compact 18 speed would do on hills and things sense there isn't a 30 tooth gear on the crank.

9. wild

Well I am sitting here thinking, if I can get a good enough price on an 09 and the 09 is 2# lighter maybe the 09 is the better way to go. The bike shop had 3 last week but no 1.0s and I could not make up my mind on a 17 or 19 frame, the quick 6 I am riding is a 19 but feels like it is a little long, but the 19 Absolute has a shorter lenth top bar and did not fell like it was stretching me out. :confused:

10. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

If you ride in wet condidtions the disc brakes on the 2010 model would be worth the wait imo. If you shun wet weather cycling then the V-brakes are sufficient. Even better with KoolStop (black) or SwissStop pads.

Otherwise, make an offer on the 2009 (assuming a proper fit) an see what shakes out. Ride for 30 minutes + if the LBS will allow to get a good feel for the fit. Just moving the seat back and forth a tad can make a big difference.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

You have done quite a bit of detailed reseach but have failed to explain what purpose this bike will serve. Will this bike take you to and from work or school and if so over what terrain? Mostly asphalt or limestone trails, MUPs? Long distance or shorter rides? Solo or group?

Any additional info would be helpful to members wanting to assist with your decision.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  12. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Resolution

Just to let everyone know, I ordered my 2009 trek 7.6 FX and it should be coming in today!! Due to the fact that it is a 2009 I got a little bit off of the price while taking advantage of the better components on the 2009 than the 2010. I look forward to letting everyone know how it does. Next I will be looking for a Cyclometer and I think I will eventually get a Kurt Kinetics Fluid Trainer.