Fuji Sunfire

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Aug 24, 2009.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I am still looking for a hybrid bike some one sugested a Fuji Sunfire 1.0. Any one riding one if so what do you think of it , or just what do you think of it evean if you don't ride one. or what hybrid do you like and why
    Bud

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Can you link to one, so we can give you some opinions?

3. wild

Are you kiding, link, every outher or every link, O thats a chain:D. I am 64 3/4 years old I barly can turn a computer on:(

4. Industry_Hack

Specs per Performance site:

* Fuji Altair 1 aluminum frame with PowerDiamond downtube gives you a responsive and resilient ride
    * SR Suntour fork with 63mm of suspension and mechanical lockout offers plush comfort over any terrain
    * Shimano Deore 27-speed drivetrain with XT rear derailleur and triple cranks supply a wide variety of gear choices for the hills and flats
    * Shimano Deore RapidFire shifters provide quick, responsive shifting action
    * Fuji Comp MTB saddle, suspension seatpost and dual density Kraton rubber grips add comfort and control
    * Shimano Alivio linear-pull brakes deliver excellent stopping power
    * Continental Country Ride tires grip the street or trail in any weather
    * Shimano RS10 wheels for durable strength and performance

That's some pretty decent spec, but XT on a comfort bike is a bit overkill. You're probably paying for more than you need. I'm partial to Giant, and just picked up a new Boulder for my girlfriend with a perfectly usable, but lower-end drivetrain, for about half the price of the Fuji. That leaves a lot of cash left over for swapping a seat or bars/stem/grips, maybe some different tires, and some comfortable riding clothes.

5. wild

Thanks. I think I can get it for a good price, and there are some changes I will have to make as I have a real bad sholder and ride in allmost a upright position. I am figuring a stem extender, canted bars, and maybe new cables and maybe a saddle for my big overweight butt.

6. Industry_Hack

A short stem with some rise, and a riser bar will help with position. No matter how big your ass is, we all have sit-bones in relatively the same place, so don't be fooled into thinking that a wider seat is going to be more comfortable.

7. medobson1

medobson1 Biking Mike

Sunfire 1.0

I have recently purchased a Sunfire 1.0 and wow. I typicaly ride fast road bikes but I wanted something I could just jump on for a quick ride around the block without gearing up! Or if I wanted to take the baby out for a ride hook up the trailer or baby seat on the back and go bouncing around the park. This bike is ado it all bike for any regular duty. I also through on a set of paniers to go shopping. Hears the low down on the bikes performance in a quick brief:

Steering - quick and agile
    Front suspension - Generaly good for general purpose
    Rear seatpost suspension - stiff and barely adequite if at all noticable
    Frame - strong and the medium fits me but a large would also fit me a little better
    Brakes - fantastic, the best feature
    Derailer - very good
    Front Derailer - Very good
    Bars and ergonomics - very good
    Seat - Good
    Tires - very good
    Weight - very good for aluminum frame
    Shifters - very good.

Reccommend - Oh yeah! My new Favorite bike.

I am 6' 1" 205 lbs and ride a little fast.

8. medobson1

medobson1 Biking Mike

You could probably add two inches of rise to the bars without changing cables and don't forget this bike uses hydraulics for brakes! so changing out the hydraulic lines will be more costly and time consuming. If you wnat to raise up seating position that much, get the 3.0 which uses cables instead of hydraulics but performance will shift down the scale with the change.