Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone out there have a fused spine from say scoliosis as a child. My wife has a fused spine but wants to get into road biking with drop bars and move away from her more upright mountain bike frame with road tires. Its just not fast enough or enough fun, but we are worried about how it might affect her back.
Any thoughts other than that she needs to go on some test rides?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
My wife and I both have back problems, her back is way worse than mine. That being said, I ride a Cannondale Synapse 5 (for the road) with a Selle Italia saddle and an aftermarket stem which brings the bars closer to me and higher up. If you go the road bike route, get a REAL proper fitting, it will making the bike much more comfortable.

For her, she really can't get comfortable on anything other than her hybrid with a shock post and sprung saddle despite fittings, saddles, etc. A recumbent may be in our future.

Don't discount a recumbent, most of them can smoke a road bike speed-wise and are extremely comfortable for people with back problems (not sure about the comfort issue, haven't ridden one) but I have seen a recumbent flat out...They are quick!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well its a bit of an individual situation because everyones comfort is a bit different. I would try the recumbents first. Most of them have full support for the back which many find very helpful with back problems. Others have pointed out that the support of the recumbent transfers the impact of the road directly into the worst part of their back. Made perfect sense to me. Mine is a semi recumbent that is far more upright than most recumbent's, but I also do not have a full back.

Others here have found that different things work for them. A straight back is usually better. You can brace a straight back.

Some recumbents are fast, but others not so much. Mine isn't but its faster than a stock sunray. Still in my case the biggest handicap to speed is the engine is too heavy not the bike.

If she can handle a mountain bike with street tires, she can probably handle a road bike too but fit is VERY important. An ill fitting road bike is an invitation to injury.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts