Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strangest thing. I use my Garmin to record my training on bike rides and on my stationary trainer. While on my stationary trainer i seem to gain and lose more elevation than when I ride on real roads. :confused:

Any idea why that is?

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
Barometric pressure changes :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
Think its more likely from him getting mad and throwing it up against the ceiling and he must have high ceilings.
I'm sure that's what it is. I was just trying to be considerate. And BTW my first comment should have been "Barometric Pressure change?"

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the training ride.

15 mile stationary trainer ride. by matts305 at Garmin Connect - Details

It shows upwards of a 1900 ft elevation gain while on a stationary trainer. Really??:eek: Now we were having some very weird weather ( Tornadoes early in the day with 60 degree temps then snow flurries in the evening) but wow. Barometric pressure really have that much effect on the readings??

Makes me wonder if all this high tech gadgetry is all it is supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I reached out to a gentleman I follow on Twitter that works for Garmin to see if he would know the right person to answer this.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xela said:
I reached out to a gentleman I follow on Twitter that works for Garmin to see if he would know the right person to answer this.
Thanks Alex. Not a huge deal, but was wondering if I was doing something wrong that I need to correct, or if it was just a glitch in the equipment somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Garmin guy said to avoid that, you need to disable the GPS for indoor riding. He said it's the GPS causing the issues, not the barometer.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol- Think I will shamefully crawl under a rock now! :/

Thanks bro!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
No need to be ashamed. I haven't been doing that with my 500 either, and I just ignore the elevation on Connect, and manually enter 0 in SportTracks.

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
No need to be ashamed. I haven't been doing that with my 500 either, and I just ignore the elevation on Connect, and manually enter 0 in SportTracks.
You use Sporttracks too? I LOVE it!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Sure do. I love how easy it is to look at cumulative totals in there whether it be by month, year, etc. Also, it's an easy way to keep up with how many miles are one my cables, chain, etc. Been using it for a few years now. I started with the free version, but finally paid for the latest version last year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts