Garmin Data

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by StormStrikes, Jun 7, 2020.

1. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I think I saw a post on here before about how you could download all of your Garmin data. Maybe Rola posted it? But I cannot find it now. Can anyone give me the link to do that?

Since I have been using my Forerunner watch as my tracker, and I use Linux at home, I cant seem to connect my watch to the computer and access the files on it to get the rides stored there like I could with my Edge. Short story long, I have, since I started riding, kept all my ride files on my file server and would like to get current. Unless someone knows how to get the forerunner to show up as a USB storage device on Linux.

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

StormStrikes likes this.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

4. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Beautiful, thank you.

5. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

What version of LINUX are you using? It SHOULD mount as a USB device or external drive exactly the same as the Edge without doing anything extra.

You shouldn't have to but try plugging the watch in, log out and back in or even reset and see if it shows up.

I assume that if it didn't show up automatically that you tried finding it with Dolphin, Konquerer, Gnome Files, Midnight Commander or whatever file manager you normally use?

If and when you get it connected make sure you check out Golden Cheetah for LINUX - nice training analysis, fitness database, indoor trainer fitness program runner, etc. You can ususally use Golden Cheetah to directly access the .FIT files on your watch and Edge.

6. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I guess I was having some glitches because I was finally able to connect and get the files off the watch. I am using Linux Mint. I was able to run lsusb and see the thing connected, it just never registered in the filesystem. Somehow, however, it just magically started working before I could pin down the issue.

And I have used Golden Cheetah before and it was the reason I was trying to get my files off the watch. I had finally downloaded the linux version and wanted to have a look at things. Though I have never really explored all it can do.

7. lectrichead

Oh, glad it started working for you.

If you've ever used Golden Cheetah in Windows it will be nearly exactly the same.

I haven't explored everything it can do either - some of the statistics and such having to do with fitness aren't things I am very familiar with or very familiar with.

I use it in the Winter with the trainer as you can download free ERG files and use it just like TrainerRoad and other training software, but for free. Though I have never connected the sensors in LINUX, I usually use that part in Win10.

StormStrikes likes this.
  8. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Where does one find these free Erg files?

9. lectrichead

Here ya go - about 500 pages worth of them; https://app.trainerday.com/search The biggest problem is deciding which one you want but the search works well for that.

You can also sign up and create your own. BTW, for others - you can import these into TrainerRoad, somehow, I'm not familiar enough with it to know how. Possibly others.

StormStrikes likes this.