Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw that Garmin has a new entry in the bike GPS the Edge 200. Looks like a nice compromise bewteen features and price. Anyone here tried one yet? $149 is much easier to justify on a bike GPS that the $249 of the Edge 500.

Simon

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Just saw that Garmin has a new entry in the bike GPS the Edge 200. Looks like a nice compromise bewteen features and price. Anyone here tried one yet? $149 is much easier to justify on a bike GPS that the $249 of the Edge 500.

Simon
My 305 had a issue ( which Garmin fixed for 79 bux ) and I really considered the 200 for just what you mentioned a nice compromise. I have found there a just a few basic features that I want and use.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Good comparison article here:

Garmin Edge 200 GPS Computer - First Ride Review | Cyclingnews.com

Here's why I wouldn't get one. Big reason, too limited on the displays. But that's also a selling point for them and why they say it's geared towards "recreational" cyclists. I love being able to customize my screens. I currently have 3 screens set up on my 500 with 5 to 7 pieces of information on each. As I love climbing and routes with big climbs, I have one screen that is dedicated to climbing with total ascent, current altitude, climbing speed, % grade, heart rate, and trip distance. This screen was my go-to screen for information and motivation during the Ride of the Immortals.

Also, the lack of compatibility with speed/cadence sensors and HR monitors is a big turn-off for serious training. This means not only can you not see your HR, but you can't see speed or cadence while on a trainer/rollers.

By the way, Nashbar fairly regularly runs 15% off and sometimes $50 off purchases. I picked up my Edge 500 for $200 during one of their $50 off sales.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Good comparison article here:

Garmin Edge 200 GPS Computer - First Ride Review | Cyclingnews.com

Here's why I wouldn't get one. Big reason, too limited on the displays. But that's also a selling point for them and why they say it's geared towards "recreational" cyclists. I love being able to customize my screens. I currently have 3 screens set up on my 500 with 5 to 7 pieces of information on each. As I love climbing and routes with big climbs, I have one screen that is dedicated to climbing with total ascent, current altitude, climbing speed, % grade, heart rate, and trip distance. This screen was my go-to screen for information and motivation during the Ride of the Immortals.

Also, the lack of compatibility with speed/cadence sensors and HR monitors is a big turn-off for serious training. This means not only can you not see your HR, but you can't see speed or cadence while on a trainer/rollers.

By the way, Nashbar fairly regularly runs 15% off and sometimes $50 off purchases. I picked up my Edge 500 for $200 during one of their $50 off sales.
Guess I didn't look into it deep enough as those are the "basics" I love!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after a few weeks of thought I decided to get the Edge 200 in the Thanksgiving sales, 20% off at Performance and using my performance club points made it a steal. Just waiting on free delivery. Though with my luck by the time it arrives the good weather we've been having will be long gone to be replaced by the dark depths of winter.

Simon

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 200 seems like a strong consideration. Hmmm?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Edge 200 has a $30 off rebate right now through Garmin... It runs from 06/01/12 through 09/15/12. Currently one company (a small unknown) is selling the 200 new for a price of $116.24.. If you can get a more reputable company to pricematch (JensonUSA) as I did.. Your price is $116.24, no tax and free ship.. Then subtract the $30 rebate from that leaving you with a total of: $86.24! VERY hard to beat..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Love my Edge 200!.. If the price is right for you, get it.. You won't be disappointed. It only cost me a few more bucks than a decent wireless cycle comp. Glad I went this route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts