Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after only 2 years of service my Garmin Edge 305 has finally died. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the longevity of this device. I have had to do soft resets in the past and it has always come back to life...but not this time. I'm not sure I want to send it in to get repaired. I'm also very hesitant to spend more money with Garmin for a new one if that is all the longer service life I can get. I honestly love it but it was 350 bux when I got it and a new 500 would be 250 ish. I have no need for the 800. At this point I wish I had the money for a SRM or Power Tap hub setup.

Signed,
Bummed... and the cycling costs continue to climb this year:(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the Garmin phone and it too has recently taken a dive on me. It still works, kind of. The touch screen is all messed up, the navigation requires a map pack and I haven't even had it a year yet. The navigation is super slow to acquire my location recently.

Sad to say, but I'll be going back to Magellan.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Well after only 2 years of service my Garmin Edge 305 has finally died. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the longevity of this device. I have had to do soft resets in the past and it has always come back to life...but not this time. I'm not sure I want to send it in to get repaired. I'm also very hesitant to spend more money with Garmin for a new one if that is all the longer service life I can get. I honestly love it but it was 350 bux when I got it and a new 500 would be 250 ish. I have no need for the 800. At this point I wish I had the money for a SRM or Power Tap hub setup.

Signed,
Do you have a smart phone? If you do read this and your problem will likely be solved for a lot less money: Cycling apps for the Android

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,536 Posts

Signed,
That sucks to hear. I've never had a problem with mine.
Is it the battery? Cause you can fix that yourself for about $6.

Replacing the battery in a Garmin Edge 305

Here is the article referenced by the first guy. He had trouble with random shut downs.

http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

·
Registered
748 Posts
My forerunner 305 died out of warranty and Garmin replaced it for $69.
Send Garmin an email and see what the return/repair policy is with the edge.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I guess I've been lucky. I've had mine for about 5 years now with no problems other than having to do the occasional "soft reset" you mentioned. Battery life does seem to be slightly decreasing, though, so I appreciate the input on battery changes.

Also, and this is off-topic, but you mentioned the SRM and Power Tap, be aware that if you're seriously considering a power set-up, the technology is finally coming to market with the power-meter in the pedals. I think that's totally going to revolutionize things, especially since it will be easy to swap from bike-to-bike like that.

Garmin power meters: They

Tim Bayley: LOOK Keo Power Pedal

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Give Garmin a call, their support number is 1-800-800-1020.

Every time I have called them they try very hard to help you. At the very least they might be able to give you a price on an out of warranty replacement. Worth a try considering what you'd pay for a new one.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Dang Rola your hard on stuff aren't ya? :D

Hope my forerunner 305 lasts longer than your edge. Just had it about 7 months now with 0 issues so far. Going to keep the advice of the others about the customer service if something does arise.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a smart phone? If you do read this and your problem will likely be solved for a lot less money: Cycling apps for the Android
Thanx for the link. I had My Tracks and iMapmyride. The problem is being able to use the cadence and HRM. Most are Bluetooth in the droid platform vs ANT.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to email Garmin tech support and make sure they don't have and undocumented voodoo tricks up their sleeves.

Alex, I may have to check that out! In the pedals hu? That just sounds to easy. One of the guys I ride with uses SRM and if I was rich...that would be the way I would go.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'll be danged ! I just picked up the Garmin after 2 days of sitting and it just came on! The battery is completely dead but comes on when I plug it into my laptop. Makes me wonder if it was locked up and had to run until the battery was dead or something crazy like that. It just connected to Garmin trainging, I'm so HAPPY! I'm going for a ride !

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Rola sound like I finally found someone I can pass on my old aviation nickname to since I haven't used it for years. They used to call me "the jinx"

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rola sound like I finally found someone I can pass on my old aviation nickname to since I haven't used it for years. They used to call me "the jinx"
OMG, thanx Photos! I'm guessing it's fitting. I'm not thinking I would wanna be an aviator with that nick name :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Would have clicked the like button on facebook :)

:thumbsup: will have to do here

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well after a while it was funny to everyone but the mechanics. Things that NEVER break would fail, like something as simple as a magnetic compass. Never met another pilot that had one bad, but I had 3 go bad. When the health finally went and I called it a career there was only one thing on the panel that had not failed on me, and I never had a total engine failure and always managed to make it back to the airport with the airplane, and never wrecked it.

Didn't seem to matter whether is was later model airplane or one older than I was. It just broke like your luck has been lately on bikes.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after a while it was funny to everyone but the mechanics. Things that NEVER break would fail, like something as simple as a magnetic compass. Never met another pilot that had one bad, but I had 3 go bad. When the health finally went and I called it a career there was only one thing on the panel that had not failed on me, and I never had a total engine failure and always managed to make it back to the airport with the airplane, and never wrecked it.

Didn't seem to matter whether is was later model airplane or one older than I was. It just broke like your luck has been lately on bikes.
Commercial or military career....or both?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Worse than that Rola. I spent 16 years teaching people to fly. I was the sucker that sat through YOUR first landing. Used to tell people the gray hair was an occupational hazard. Needless to say, since I survived I learned a bit about risk management. The tickets let me teach in just about any airplane up to 12,500lbs, but never got to fly jets. No regrets. The first retinal surgery that took my peripheral vision in my left eye made it clear to me that it probably wasn't a good idea to keep flying. The second surgery convinced me I was right, and the third had me decide that its probably not a good idea for me to be in a light airplane anymore. The last ride I took was with a former student that I gave him his first ride. The first ride I gave him, he rode on my tickets. The last ride he gave me I rode on his tickets. Seemed a fitting way to end a career.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts