Two Spoke Forums banner

Garmin edge 500

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  ksr5 
#1 ·
Right now I use a Cateye CD300 wireless computer, but thinking about jumping to a Garmin edge 500 to get HRM and to be able to download my routes..

Does anyone here use a Garmin Edge 500 or any Garmin?

Thanks

#2 ·
When you say you want to be able to download routes I'm curious what you are expecting to get and use from doing that?

I love my Garmin, it's an older 305 tho.

The battery died ( Garmin repaired/replaced battery for 79 bux -actually got another unit that looked brand new) and I thought about getting an 800 and then the 500 but for what I need the 305 is perfect. I do like some of the added/different features of the 500 and would most likely make that my next purchase if I had to buy another one.

#3 · (Edited)
My Cateye does a great job at what it was designed to do and not really looking to gain from the mapping, but more of a curiosity of my stats at certain points of a ride. Map My Ride does ok on mapping and GPS during the ride and my iPhone battery wouldn't last during a long ride. The 800 would be a better jump, but not for what they want for it.

Have been looking at the 305 also...

#6 ·
I own the 800 I really like it I have not used all the functions on it yet but it works great.
That reminds me Poolie has an 800 too, maybe he'll chime in soon! Glad to see ya around again krs5, you've been silent fer a minute :D

#8 ·
I was pretty tired last night and just realized what you were saying about downloading maps....a big Duhh moment on my part!

I know Alex uses a 500 as well as SportTracks as well as myself and Poolie for doing what you are saying. It's an unbeatable combination for evaluating your ride, progress and being able to see almost every aspect of your ride. At one point I was spending as much time logging rides here and there and everywhere. I have settled on SportTracks and my Garmin.

It allows you to add equipment and list it, for example, on each ride you do so it easily tracks usage, mileage, etc!

Below shows two screens available out of many to choose from. All of which to say between the data the Garmin captures that you can use in SporTacks is pretty awesome.

Attachments

#9 ·
#10 ·
#11 ·
Fixed, delete *.* :D

#12 ·
I was pretty tired last night and just realized what you were saying about downloading maps....a big Duhh moment on my part!

I know Alex uses a 500 as well as SportTracks as well as myself and Poolie for doing what you are saying. It's an unbeatable combination for evaluating your ride, progress and being able to see almost every aspect of your ride. At one point I was spending as much time logging rides here and there and everywhere. I have settled on SportTracks and my Garmin.

It allows you to add equipment and list it, for example, on each ride you do so it easily tracks usage, mileage, etc!

Below shows two screens available out of many to choose from. All of which to say between the data the Garmin captures that you can use in SporTacks is pretty awesome.
Rola did you buy sport tracks or are you using the free version? I downloaded the free version and it won't recognize my 800, when I go to import its not in the list. I can do it manually but that's a pain.

#13 · (Edited)
Rola does your 305 have a built in light for the screen at night?

Edit: I downloaded the manual and found out it does...

#14 ·
Rola did you buy sport tracks or are you using the free version? I downloaded the free version and it won't recognize my 800, when I go to import its not in the list. I can do it manually but that's a pain.
I did pay for it. Poolie has an 800 and uses it, I can ask him about it.

#15 ·
I've got the paid version too. For what that app does it's well worth it. To get the 800 to be recognized you'll need to pony up 5 EUR (about $7 or $8 bucks) and install the Garmin FIT plugin from Old Man Biking. You can find it on the plugin page. Works like you would expect it to :) At the moment I think it's either that plugin or manually import which got old very quickly.

#18 ·
I just started using Strava. I love it. Strava.com and its compatible with the Garmins.

It used to be cycling only, but now they've incorporated running.
There are certainly plenty of options to try and use for sure. I guess it depends on what you want out of the software.

#19 · (Edited)
I've got the paid version too. For what that app does it's well worth it. To get the 800 to be recognized you'll need to pony up 5 EUR (about $7 or $8 bucks) and install the Garmin FIT plugin from Old Man Biking. You can find it on the plugin page. Works like you would expect it to :) At the moment I think it's either that plugin or manually import which got old very quickly.[/qu

Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.