Garmin/Garmin Connect Down

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by StormStrikes, Jul 23, 2020.

1. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Anyone noticed that Garmin has been down since about midnight last night? It's coming up close to 24hr outage so far.

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

3. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

Ransomware attack - huge. The company is downplaying it but I imagine heads are rolling and more on the way, and I am guessing there is as much sweating going on by the techs and programmers there at Garmin's various centers around the world as there is from people trying to use the service.

It doesn't look like the company is going to pay the hackers - they shouldn't, the hackers are basically terrorists - so who knows how long it will take to get back up and running.

Likely they'll need to track down the vector of infection, scrub it from every system, and then rebuild various pieces of software architecture from backups and such.

A daunting task and who knows how long it is going to take? The loss of revenue by Garmin and reputation is going to be unbelievable.

But they certainly were a great target - the largest fitness tech and logging system in the world affecting thousands.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Dos_Ruedas and kneedrachen like this.
  4. lectrichead

For those who have Garmins I hope you all know that you can upload manually to most any other logging site.

Just plug the computer or watch in to a computer and go to the device in a file manager, find the device and click it and then the GARMIN folder, then ACTIVITY or ACTIVITIES and upload the .FIT file with the date and time of your activity that you want to send. For some watches there may be an extra folder to click after going to the device in a file manager.

Some older Garmin devices may also duplicates in the GPX folder too, but newer devices may also have a GPX folder but it may be something like your favorites.

There are sites like https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to convert to .GPX from .FIT if needed.

Strava accepts .FIT, just click the + symbol in Strava (on the website) and click "Upload Activity".

You can usually do this all on a phone also, using a browser set to desktop mode and a file manager app, and an OTG cable to connect to your device.

5. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Where did you see/here that it was a ransomware attack?

6. lectrichead

7. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Yeah, I started searching after I posted here. I didn't see anything that definitively stated it was caused by a ransomware attack, just that it was believed to be due to that.

I find it surprising, if that be true, that it has taken this long. I don't know what their backup practices are like or their internal network infrastructure capability for such a disaster recovery model, but this is quite some time to recover from such an attack if it be true.

We have had to deal with this at my work on a few occasions and we had things back to normal operation in just a couple hours.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  8. lectrichead

Employees have been posting about the Ransomware almost since it started.

Worldwide mega-corporation, hundreds of interconnected networks, hundreds of business sites, manufacturing, support centers, research, admin, financial, hundreds of techs and programmers working from home - I wouldn't be surprised if they are not back up in weeks or even more.

9. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I work for a global corporation as well with all kinds of networks connecting all kinds of infrastructure over MPLS, VSAT, P2P, PMP, even field WiFi and we migrate everything back to the core business network. Heck, we've even had to restore back to ocean going vessels. So if it takes them that long to get back up and running I'd say they seriously need to look at how they are handling their data and/or re-evaluate their disaster recovery model.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  10. lectrichead

Well, it's good that the organization you work for has the most efficient possible systems in place - most don't.

WastedLocker ransomware has been confirmed as the ransomeware.

11. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I won't say it is the most efficient, but they definitely spend a chunk of money on being prepared for things like this and developing the plan-of-action to put it all in place if required.

12. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I guess Wahoo’s lovin’ it.

kneedrachen likes this.
  13. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Yeah, I imagine they are. Particularly with them down this long. I would have thought that with the Sony game network (I believe that is who it was) having been shut down for what more than a week some years ago, companies that deal with this level and amount of data would have learned their lesson.

I guess those that stick with their service after this, and assuming there is not some accompanying massive data breach of personal data, might be treated with some deep discounts on some wearables, head units, etc. If they go that route, I might be all over a Fenix 6 Pro, maybe.

14. rola643

I guess I missed all the excitement because I basically had a zero mileage week thanks to storms and outages

15. rola643

16. rola643

Go take a peak at Ray twitter feed on this, not good times for Garmin.

IMG_1756.PNG

17. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

They don't get this back up soon, it's going to get real bad. Right now, over some time, people would probably blow it off. But if it keeps dragging out they are going to have the same problem Sony did.

18. lectrichead

People should be pissed - at the hackers who did this. It's a form of terrorism, and these attacks are only going to get worse.

rola643 likes this.
  19. rola643

I don't notice it because Wahoo and Strava are, SO FAR, unaffected. Time to switch platforms :D Wonder if Wahoo is on the super defensive right now? I meant to talk to my son in law about this weekend while we were at their place, he's in cyber security and could give me a better understanding of how this happens. He got several calls Saturday from people in a panic they caught "scanning" their network.

kneedrachen likes this.
  20. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

That is what the WastedLocker attack, or at least in as far as known thus far, is targeting, business infrastructure. Or perhaps more aptly put, enterprise infrastructure. So it would not surprise me one bit if others like Wahoo and Strava are or have been targeted.

If they have, and were able to either avoid being corrupted or act and mitigate any intrusion, it's going to look a WHOLE lot worse for Garmin. My understanding is that some of the aviation stuff has been affected too. To what extent is unknown.

We monitor some of the Security infrastructure at my work along with the overall network, and I was watching keeping a keen eye on that side of things knowing this was happening at Garmin and there was not even a blip. So maybe, for now, they are only targeting fitness types. Who knows. I would imagine with the apparent success in attacking Garmin they are going to be a bit emboldened to keep going to other segments.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.