Gel Bot Water Bottle

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Xela, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Thought this was a pretty cool idea. Especially as I have recently started buying my gel in bulk and filling a flask. This would eliminate me having to carry the flask around. Anyone seen or tried one of these?

The Gel-Bot and Gel-Flask from Hydrapak

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

If you had an extra spot for a bottle that would be awesome. Cool product.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I think I saw that at Interbike, but my brain had trouble processing it.

4. Xela

Was that due to the liquid refreshments that it was trying to simultaneously process?

Seriously, though, I wouldn't have understood it without the animation. Think I'll try one out. I might add some to my Christmas list for the in-laws. If I get one, I'll write up a review.

5. Industry_Hack

Should I hit them up for a few evaluation copies? It never hurts to ask.

6. Xela

Why not? Like you said, can't hurt. :thumbsup:

7. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I had to watch the Graphic a dozen times before I got it. Seems like if you use gels that's the direction to go.

8. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the hell this product was at first. But it seems like a pretty good idea, if you use gels.

9. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I want one. Although wouldn't it be easier to keep you gel in you pack? I guess for touring is it's intention.

10. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I think its one of those things that isn't absolutely necessary, but could be very handy. Especially for someone that isn't comfortable grabbing gel from their pockets, opening it, and consuming it while riding at the same time.

11. Industry_Hack

I sent them an email. And no, I didn't even drink at this year's show. At least, not that I recall. ;)

12. Xela

Cool, man (about the email, that is)!

The main advantages I see are as follows:

I already carry two bottles with me plus a flask of gel. This would eliminate the flask. Also, in some paceline situations where the group is going really hard, it would be much easier (and safer) to have your gel in such easy reach, rather than getting a packet out or flask out of your rear jersey pocket, opening it, eating it, and putting the trash or flask back in your pocket.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I didn't think of that but your right. That would be perfect on group rides.

14. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i just dump my trash. i don't like getting the insides of my pockets dirty with gel residue.

15. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Hadn't thought of that, and it is a very good point. I have done a couple of Crits and this bottle would have been nice to have for a little extra boost, while only needing to reach for the water bottle.

16. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

You mean on the Road?

17. JoanneWoodward

JoanneWoodward Guest

I have seen it before ...it seems coll to me.

18. Xela

Here's a follow up. I have now tried one of these. Overall I am fairly pleased.

A few details on how it works. With the soft nozzle/valve on top closed (down), you squeeze and suck to get gel. When you open the nozzle like on any other bottle, water flows.

The valve is soft and seals well. Water flow rate is nice, and there is minimal leaking around the nozzle. It claims to hold 3 oz of gel. For comparison, a Gu pack is 1.1 oz. I guess using the bottle, I tended to take more than one serving, because it only seemed liked I was getting about 1.75 servings of gel.

The only thing that keeps me from saying that the product is great is the flow rate of the gel. I was using it on a rollers ride and had the gel at about 65 degrees. It flowed a little slowly, and this would be even more of an issue at lower temperatures as the viscosity increases. However, I also have a flask that has similar issues as the temp drops.

So, overall I am happy with the product. I think it will be great for the reasons we have discussed (less trash, easier than opening a gel pack, easier for races or fast group rides, etc.)

19. Industry_Hack

I'm disappointed that they didn't even respond, but glad to hear that someone had a chance to review it.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Glad to hear one of you got to try it. I guess I never fully understood that it held both water and gel.