Gels Over Liquids.

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Farnsworth, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I was in my Bike shop after talking to every one yesterday and saw they have all the gels. What's the difference between liquid in gel? Is it just preference or do they put something in gels they don't put in say a Redbull?

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

That is an interesting question. I can tell you that I prefer gels over a liquid mainly because they are much easier to carry. I can put 5 or 6 in a jersey pocket if I am doing a long ride and I am good to go. That frees up my water bottle cages for....water. I try to carry the minimum, especially on the long rides, so gel is just more convenient. As far as nutrition, I am not sure what the difference is. I know I prefer gels without caffeine, and your going to get a lot of it in something like a redbull.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

The gels probably contain a mix of simple and complex carbs, along with electrolytes to aid in fluid replacement. They don't replace water.

Red Bull doesn't have anything in it that a cyclist would want if they are going to be riding for any length of time.

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

What is this gel you speak of? Is it like a caffeine infused Jell-O in a package? Have not seen or heard of such a thing.

5. Industry_Hack

Been inside a bike shop lately? :D

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

GU is one of the many makers of energy gel. Check them out.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I know you mean this in good cheer, but no, I almost never do. I work in a bike manufacturing facility of private ownership. Not a public shop with all manner of goods on the counter. My master's place is more like a blacksmith's shop but all bike related.

We build steel frame sets for larger name brands and custom race offerings for those who are in the local trialling and hill climb business. Almost no sales outside of the UK for our custom race gear. No internet sales or offerings. All word of mouth and reputation.

Until I worked here, I never even handled a computer of any sort. Been apprenticed and part of the race team here for 3 years now. They outfit me with all my cycling needs.

Little money for bobbles and no time for fluff.

8. Industry_Hack

You should check with a local bike shop then. Lots of interesting portable energy and nutrition products.

9. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I'm a gel user.

So..gels...

There are basically 2 types of gel.

One type is an energy boost of different sugars.
    The other is a hit of energy from different sugars, but also has electrolytes in it.

You need to take both with a lot of water, to not take water with a gel is not going to disperse the gel in the body, and MAY cause a stomach upset.

The 1st type of gel should be "downed" with an electrolyte replacement, like gatoraide or cytomax.
    The second type already has the electrolytes in them and should be "downed" with water, NOT gatoraide! To down it with gatoraide, is a double hit of salt and other things that, again, might upset the belly.

10. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

jeepster....good explanation. I have found out the hard way how important it is to take water with the gels. I find if I don't use the water, I get a real sticky mouth from all the sugars.

11. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

There are several different ways to deal with on bike nutrition.

Gels are really only a short term fix. Perhaps 2 to 3 hours at 45 minutes per hit(6 hits). That's about it on the gels.

For a bit longer term calorie, try peanut butter, or honey or oatmeal or granola. It will take at least an hour before these are available for fuel, so eat accordingly. I LOVE those "uncrustable" PB&J pre-made frozen sammies...Those are nice for on bike longer term nutrition.

12. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

PB&J is my personal favorite on a long ride....That is always what I reach for when I am tired of consuming chews, gels or power bars.

13. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Fig Newtons for me and chace it with some G2

14. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

OMG...
    My opinion: G2 is THE WORST crap. The chemical after taste is killer.
    YUK!

(I would rather be thirsty.):rolleyes:

15. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I don't like the Gatorade products at all. Vitamin Water isn't as sugary. Still on a long ride all I want is energy drinks and water.

Whyeyebike, How do you carry PB&J?

16. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I usually take 1 to 2 sandwiches and cut them into 4 to 8 pieces and then wrap each piece in cellophane. I then put them in one of my jersey pockets, careful to keep them separated. They do get pretty squashed sometimes, but for the most part they aren’t too messy. I have a buddy that does the same thing but uses bagels which hold their shape a bit better. With a little practice, I haven’t gotten very good and grabbing, unwrapping, eating and returning the used wrapping back into my jersey pocket.

The other trusty idea is saltine crackers with peanut butter and jelly. Put a couple of those in “snack” plastic bags and put them in a jersey pocket. Anything I can do to get my food intake without eating the same boring foods.

17. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

how long are you guys riding that you need to carry food or gels for that matter and what kind of riding (street, trail)?

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I carry if I know I'm going to be out all day. Otherwise I just stop off and grab some thing.

19. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I take things along if it's open ended or longer than a few hours.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I wish I could justify drinking a Redbull or something before I start a trek but I can't. I know how horrible they are for me and it only makes sense to me if I'm fatigued.