Generators

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TxCyclist, Aug 20, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Anyone ever installed a backup generator before? Gas/diesel powered on.

Need to look into one but not sure where to start. Real curious about the feasibility of an auto-switch to start it when the master power shuts off.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I have installed a bunch of them. The systems are all the same the difference is in the transfer switch. You have 2 options Manual Transfer Switches (MTS) and Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS).

The transfer switches are tied into the supply from the power company and also the supply from the generator. The separate the generator from the power company to protect power company workers from a back feed of power from your generator while they are repairing the power lines.

The MTS is as it states manually operated. When the power goes out you have to turn the generator on and flip the switch to take the system from city power to generator power. When the city power comes back on you flip the switch back and turn the generator off.

The ATS is what is needed for the hands off system. The ATS will sense the power loss from the city and automatically switch to generator power and start the generator. When city power comes back on the ATS will switch to city power and shut down the generator. Some ATS systems can get pretty detailed and even start and run the genset for an hour or 30 minutes each week to make sure everything is up and working. The system tracks generator engine operating temperature, oil pressure, etc... and will shut the engine down to protect it. It also protect the generator against over speed and overload situations.

If you are looking for an automatic system you may want to avoid a gas/diesel genset and look at the natural gas powered or LPG gensets. As you can have a tank brought in and filled and don't have to worry about the degradation of the fuel as in a gas/diesel set.

If you have any more questions let me know.

P.S. Have you looked at the flyer idea I sent you?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009