geocaching

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gomez, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Gomez

Gomez Member

Anybody into geocaching? Me and a group of friends and family were camping out in the Southern Sierras in Ca and hiked up to a outcropping of rocks and found a ammo box full of goodies, books, CD, note pad with entries, pencils, toy cars, and a bouncy ball. It was a awesome find, apparently there is a big world of geocaching out there that I wasn't aware of. Just wanted to see if anyone out there actively searches out these treasures?

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

The Geocaching this is huge, we have don it a few times when riding dirtbikes around Sand Mountain in Nevada, it is kinda interesting, the gkids love it, kinda like treasure hunting. You are supposed to leave something and take something. This is the website with info:

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

DrB

3. Gomez

Gomez Member

Sounds fun, any excuse to get out to the great out of doors. Thanks for the link mtndoc.

4. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Your welcome, good luck. A good GPS helps tremendously!!

DrB

5. Smiley

Smiley New Member

That is still on my list to do. What did you leave in the box Gomez?

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That's neat. I'm gonna have to try it. Does it only work with GPS?

7. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I'm not sure you can do it w/out a GPS, but I suppose it is possible. The coordinates are given in latitude and longitude, so would be difficult. The website explains it all, give it a look.

DrB

8. Gomez

Gomez Member

Well we weren't looking for the box so the only thing I had extra was a book of matches, which I put in the box, and I left a log in the note pad that others had signed. It must of been fairly new as only a couple entries we listed. I was awesome to reflect on others words and the adventures that others had as we were at 9000ft elevation looking down on Monache Meadow and the South Fork of the Kern River.

9. Smiley

Smiley New Member

That's pretty cool Gomez.

10. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

There are tens of thousands of geocaches all around the world, even in cities!!! I bet if you look into it there are many in the cities of everyone in this forum! Go have a look, the site is listed above, sign up and go find treasure. I think the logs are the most fun, but the little trinkets are cool.

Now I'm sounding like a geocaching commercial.....Geez

DrB

11. Smiley

Smiley New Member

So what kind of GPS can you use? Can you use the kind you install in your car?

12. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Any type of GPS works, but if you can't take it out of your car you might have trouble as you might not want to take your car to some of the sites, but the type of GPS doesn't matter, only that you can read lat & long on it to determine where the cache is.

I just got the newsletter, and this article was among those listed, you might want to go take a look, it is from US News and World Reports(I think):

High-Tech Game of Hide and Seek Gaining Interest - US News and World Report

I checked the link, it works
    Happy Hunting,
    DrB

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would just follow the people with portable gps's around and then spring out from behind them and take the buried treasure for myself. Is that allowed?

14. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I have done it quite a few times. I use it as an excuse to go offroading in the Jeep. I have an old magellan that gets me close then I wander around and hope. Two sites I never found the box, one of them I drove up got out stepped around the back of the jeep to take a leak and about whizzed on it.

It is a lot of fun. My wife and I would go out every weekend to wheel and gas costs were high so we took up rock hunting, panning for gold, and geocache. That way we had a goal to reach by offroad driving instead of just driving around.

The fun ones are the bugs. You go to the cache and get a certain item called a bug, you then take it to another site and record it on the website and people can track a bug all over the place. We took a bug from CA to CO a few years back. Geocache is if nothing else another reason to be outside having fun with family and friends.

15. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Exactly Grape Ape, it is a whole lot of fun, gkids absolutely love it!!!

DrB

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm poor so panning for gold is how I earn my lunch! Do you think they hide sandwiches in those cache thingies?