Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted about before here. But today, "GET ON THE F*****G SIDEWALK!!!" is what some lady in a Chevy Impala yelled at me today while I was riding. It is what happened after that I find it rather funny. Click the link to read about it.

"GET ON THE F*****G SIDEWALK!!!"

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow. I'm glad you're safe. Also, I'm not certain about Iowa but it's a high possibility that while on your bike you are considered to be a vehicle. Just like any other 4 wheeled vehicle or two wheeled motorized vehicle on the road. You have all the rights in the world to assume the lane when it comes to your safety. GL and be safe out there.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I had a similar incident happen to me a few years ago. I was riding through a residential neighborhood near my own when a mini van passed me. A man was driving and the female passenger yelled out the window for me to get on the sidewalk. They turned right just in front of me. Knowing that they must be very near their home since the street was no outlet, I followed. At this point, the dude must have been crapping himself and probably not too happy with his passenger. They pulled into a cul de sac and into their driveway. I rolled up right behind them. The passenger got out and started to apologize profusely. I shook my head and continued on riding. Hopefully, she learned her lesson.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow. I'm glad you're safe. Also, I'm not certain about Iowa but it's a high possibility that while on your bike you are considered to be a vehicle. Just like any other 4 wheeled vehicle or two wheeled motorized vehicle on the road. You have all the rights in the world to assume the lane when it comes to your safety. GL and be safe out there.
I know in Texas if you're on a bike, motorized or not, you have to obey all traffic laws that cars do. Signal, stop at lights/stop signs, yield to peds, etc.

Did you know not using your blinker is an arrestable offense?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had a similar incident happen to me a few years ago. I was riding through a residential neighborhood near my own when a mini van passed me. A man was driving and the female passenger yelled out the window for me to get on the sidewalk. They turned right just in front of me. Knowing that they must be very near their home since the street was no outlet, I followed. At this point, the dude must have been crapping himself and probably not too happy with his passenger. They pulled into a cul de sac and into their driveway. I rolled up right behind them. The passenger got out and started to apologize profusely. I shook my head and continued on riding. Hopefully, she learned he lesson.
By pulling into their driveway behind them they could have called the cops on you and had you arrested for trespassing. Plus you don't know if they were armed or not.

It would have been better to stop on the road in front of their house.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
By pulling into their driveway behind them they could have called the cops on you and had you arrested for trespassing. Plus you don't know if they were armed or not.

I didn't pull into their driveway. I was still in the street.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know in Texas if you're on a bike, motorized or not, you have to obey all traffic laws that cars do. Signal, stop at lights/stop signs, yield to peds, etc.

Did you know not using your blinker is an arrestable offense?
Likewise in VA. There's a park that bikes ride in nightly in small, med, and lge groups(our own little TDF) and if you don't stop at the signs, the Park Police will stroke you.(not in a good way either)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Even if you had, as long as you don't go past the sidewalk, you're still on public land. FYI.
I'm not 100%, but I think that you might be wrong about that. In most if not all cities/counties/states it's what's called "public easement." There's a case in I think Va where an off duty cop removed two bicycles from a no parking sign on his property.

It was his property, but it was also the public easement. Meaning that he was responsible for it's upkeep, and paying taxes on it, but that the city/county/state could place a no parking sign in it, or a stop sign, or a speed limit sign or anything else that they needed to.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I'm fairly certain that the government easment is in no way considered the property of the land that it surrounds with regard to trespassing. If it were, then pedestrians on the sidewalk would be trespassing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not 100%, but I think that you might be wrong about that. In most if not all cities/counties/states it's what's called "public easement." There's a case in I think Va where an off duty cop removed two bicycles from a no parking sign on his property.

It was his property, but it was also the public easement. Meaning that he was responsible for it's upkeep, and paying taxes on it, but that the city/county/state could place a no parking sign in it, or a stop sign, or a speed limit sign or anything else that they needed to.
I think you took 'public land' a little out of context. I don't know how to explain what I mean, so here is a photo. As long as you are behind the red line, you are not trespassing. In fact, If someone were to sit there all day, there's really not much you can do about it; Until they harass you, become a nuisance, or trespass.

Attachments

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts

It's not trespassing till you've been told to leave.

Been there.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You are all obsessing about the property lines and what if this or what if that....

the point of the post was to point out the ignorance of people and their cycle-rage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think you took 'public land' a little out of context. I don't know how to explain what I mean, so here is a photo. As long as you are behind the red line, you are not trespassing. In fact, If someone were to sit there all day, there's really not much you can do about it; Until they harass you, become a nuisance, or trespass.
Ah, but part of the "problem" is that the home/property owner is still responsible for maintaining i.e. mowing that grassy area, as well as keeping the sidewalk clear.

When I was in NY taking care of my Grandmother I heard about a town (not in NY I think) where the home/property owner has to fully maintain the sidewalk in front of their home/property, i.e. if it becomes damaged and needs repairing/replacing the home/property owner has to fix or replace it.

That's also where a TRO or full restraining order comes into play.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm fairly certain that the government easement is in no way considered the property of the land that it surrounds with regard to trespassing. If it were, then pedestrians on the sidewalk would be trespassing.
Then why is it that the home/property owner and not government is responsible for maintain the grassy area between the sidewalk and the road/curb? As well as having to pay property tax on it?

·
Registered
313 Posts
You are all obsessing about the property lines and what if this or what if that....

the point of the post was to point out the ignorance of people and their cycle-rage.
And sadly, there are way too many motorists and cyclists, who are ignorant of what exactly the law says in regards to bicycles being on the road.

Which is why (despite what some might think) we need more education and enforcement to get the message out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts