Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
lol mine has dropped almost a full 1 mph since last year and the guy a ride with has increased by 2 mph...BUT he has put a lot more time and effort into it this year and rode all winter in cold which I REFUSE to do :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am just starting to break through the 16mph barrier.
For me, it is kind of like the sound barrier.
It has taken a couple month of hard riding to break through.

Today my average speed was 17.6 mph... That is average.
Getting there.
The problem is...my race is 8 days away and I am done with the hammering workouts.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Jeepster the old Fred in me would give you the same advise I gave a friend at my local bike shop. Do your best, but have fun. Push yourself, but listen to your body. IF it tells you to back off listen. No one will care about that race next week. A bad knee pushed to hard could give you grief for life. No race is that important. Ride to win, but realize you already win because you get to ride.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I am just starting to break through the 16mph barrier.
For me, it is kind of like the sound barrier.
It has taken a couple month of hard riding to break through.

Today my average speed was 17.6 mph... That is average.
Getting there.
The problem is...my race is 8 days away and I am done with the hammering workouts.

Good luck tomorrow Jeepster:thumbsup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks guys...
Yep tomorrow... I guess I'm ready. I'm ready.
Worked on the bike yesterday, then rode some today to make sure i didn't mess things up, by working on things.
All is working.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well,
It is time.
My 1st bike race is just a couple hours away. I am going to compete in a DUATHLON. A triathlon where the swim leg is replaced with a 5K run, The water is too cold here for a swim so it was replaced with a run.
The distance is half way between a sprint and an Oly. I am racing a 5k run, a 30K bike, then another 5K run.
About 2 hours(I hope).

I will post my results...

Zoom zoom.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am tired. But did finish, about where I figured, middle of the pack.
The bike leg was killer. Had little left for the 5K finishing run. Got passed on the bike leg a lot...a lot. Held my own on the run.

The most important pic of them all:

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Very cool Jeep! That's a huge accomplishment!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Great Job, congrats bro!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Got a few more pics from my race:

The bike/run transition. Imagine coming in from a flat out 5K run and you need to find your bike in this sea of bikes. Then after the 30K ride, you need to put it back in the exact same spot(there are officials watching).

After the race. The lonely feeling of being slow...

1 minute after crossing the finish line.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Got a few more pics from my race:

After the race. The lonely feeling of being slow...
While that might be true it still takes courage to even participate in that kind of event and the fact that you finished and in mid pack says a lot. I would not even consider doing an event like that. Fear of not finsihing would probably keep me from doing it to begin with.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I came in to the transition after the 1st 5K and my bike was the only one left in the row of racks...All the rest had already gotten out on the road.
That was a bit dis-heartening.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Jeepster, that's a huge accomplishment that I know I cannot do. You will only get better from here. Congrats!!!

My first, and only I might add, Mountain Bike race I finished dead last.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts