Getting fitted for a new bike

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mike1jw, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

What should I expect from a local bike shop when fitting me to a new bike?

I notice some shops have big machine, or measuring tool, to get your body dimensions, and some don't. I hear that a complete fitting (independent of buy a bike) can cost about 70 dollars. I hear that fit is very important, but then after that, I hear that even with the best fitting, the individual style of the rider makes the final determination.

So how far should I go with getting the right fit? And what should I expect from a bike shop in performing it?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Mike, I have been fitted three times. The best fit I had was at a shop that was a Serotta dealer and had the Serotta Fit Cycle. As you might know, Serotta does full custom bikes. If you're ordering one of those, you want to know your fit dimensions are right. So, Serotta has developed a Fit Cycle to assure that your measurements are correct. For this fit, the shop brought me in and took the usual measurements. They then set up the Fit Cycle to these measurements. They had me pedal on the cycle while tweaking the measurements until the riding position not only looked right but felt right to me. They even adjusted the numbers based on my flexibility that they measured also. I still use the numbers from this fitting and I am very comfortable on the bike. The process took about 3 hours and was around $100.

You can search for Serotta dealers here.

2009 SEROTTA

And here is some information on their fitting.

2009 SEROTTA

I will add that I was not looking to purchase a Serotta at the time, but the fit was something that the shop offered for all customers.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009

3. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Is this your first bike?
    How much money are you thinking of spending?
    Road or Mountain bike?

4. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Right now I'm using a 20+-year-old Giant Sadona mountain bike. To begin with I just wanted to get some exercise, but them I really started to enjoy some ling rides (long for me anyway) After I wore the rear knobby tire bald, and got a flat, I changed them for 1.5 road tires. Now I really want to get a road bike. I'm not going to spend more than $2,000, but I would like to spend less. I'm going back and forth deciding between a local bike shop, say with a 105 group, or bikesdirect.com, with an Ultegra 6700 group (about 2,000). The deciding factor is whether I want to set the bike and tune it, of have a shop do it. At this point I think I'm going with bikesdirect.com. I rather do some work and get more in the long run. I have some time before I buy though, because I just put some clipless pedals on my bike and I want to get used to them so I don't crash my new bike.

Attached Files:

5. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Sounds great, you got a plan.

I've had clips for 20 years and I still fall on my head about twice a year.

I choose to buy a little cheaper but my friend has a bike shop. Just keep it clean and oiled and you will enjoy.