Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was on the last part of my ride going up a decent grade when on my left a younger Guy (he looked around 25) came by and announced "on your left" and passed me. The problem is, he did everything right and it still tweaked me! For the older guys does it still bother you to get passed? or has the ego settled down and your OK with it? By the way after he passed I was stupid enough to try to keep up with him (from a safe distance back) Nearly killed me on that hill!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
If it's a hill I'm good with it just cuz I know that is still my downfall. Even on a flat out sprint it depends. I can hang with most group rides but when it comes to say....JRVC (James River Veleo Club) where they avg 22-24 mph all day I'll get cooked. That's avg speed not what you look down and see several times as you ride. I say that as I have ridden with a few that say they avg 20 and when you ride with them it's a 15-16 avg hitting 20 or so :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Man, I'm lucky. I never even see another cyclist when I ride unless it's a group ride. I feel fortunate I don't have to deal with that kind of stuff I red all to frequently about.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
(cone of silence on)

That's because we're already in FRONT of you!

(cone of silence off)

Rola, I think a lot depends on where you ride and when you ride. I think you get a lot of weekday rides in? When I have a day off and ride, I rarely see anyone else but on a weekend, at the right time, cyclists are everywhere.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It used to bother me, but not so much anymore. Actually, 'bother' isn't the right word for me. Frustration better describes what I felt. Now that I've built up stronger legs and I ride at a quicker pace I don't get passed so much, but when I do, it's usually a very decisive pass. I'll be humming along at around 20mph and someone will come by me doing at least 25mph and leave me in their dust. When that happens I just go, Woooooow!

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
(cone of silence on)

That's because we're already in FRONT of you!

(cone of silence off)

Rola, I think a lot depends on where you ride and when you ride. I think you get a lot of weekday rides in? When I have a day off and ride, I rarely see anyone else but on a weekend, at the right time, cyclists are everywhere.
Yea...could be I just live out a bit from any towns and even then I would have to got to Williamsburg to see any real action...except Monday nights that is....and Sunday afternoons in the fall.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Since I'm not in this to compete, I never let it bother me. The MUP where I do my daily rides is the most popular place to ride a bike in the entire county; especially road and tri bikes. It is used by the USF Cycling Team, and almost every cyclist that competes, as the preferred place to train. At 66, I get passed by younger (and older) riders all the time, including women. Since I really don't know the rider, or their background, it really doesn't make sense to get upset if you get passed. If I did, I would have quit riding two years ago.

In fact, on weekends, there are these two boys, 13 and 15, that come out with their dad, that are incredibly fast. I think that their dad is getting them ready to try and go pro. I've seen them hang with pacelines going at least 25 mph and not get dropped.

My goal is to get out and ride every day that I can. I ride 30 (sometimes 45) miles a day, six days a week, and keep my speed around 18-19 mph for the entire ride. Sometimes I feel frisky and I'll go faster and sometimes I just want to take it easy and I'll go a little slower. When I ride with my wife, my fastest speed is around 12 mph, average is 10 mph.

If you're not into cycling to compete, I would suggest that you enjoy the ride and reap the rewards. Don't worry ..... be happy!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Best words spoken on this topic...thanks John_V --> enjoy the ride and reap the rewards. Don't worry ..... be happy

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I try to not piss anyone off when I ride. I make sure I give slower traffic plenty of warning that I am passing. If someone passes me and I think there as some tude, Ill chase them down, for fun.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I try to not piss anyone off when I ride. I make sure I give slower traffic plenty of warning that I am passing. If someone passes me and I think there as some tude, Ill chase them down, for fun.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'm in the same "boat" as Rola as most my rides are solo, but when I ride in a group, I have been able to keep up as the guys that avg 21-24 mph (not who I ride with) normally take off about 10 minutes before anyone else. At 47 years old I am not so old as to have lost that competitive spirit I had when I was younger, but not so dumb that I don't know that my best competitive years are behind me as well.:)

·
1,393 Posts
I just keep striving to ride fast enough to not have as many people pass me - on the old steel hybrid comfort - it happened quite alot on the MUP - but not as much with the new roadies but it does still happen occasionally and when it does I am impressed - I was really impressed when a guy passed me on the exact same old heavy comfort bike that I used to ride and I was on the road bike - that was impressive - just means we have to keep getting better

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
OK I'll admit it it!!! When I am out riding I am on the prowl. Nothing stokes me more than seeing a cyclist out in the distance that I will push to overtake. Knowing the area very good is a help because I can judge how I am gaining on them by the terrain I am on verse's the terrain they are on. If all is going good and they continue on my riding route I always pass going uphill.:D

My grey beard and mustache must really rub it in as I say hello on my way by.

The truth being when I do encounter a cyclist out on the road I really do reel it in to engage in some cycling conversation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hazy said:
I'm in the same "boat" as Rola as most my rides are solo, but when I ride in a group, I have been able to keep up as the guys that avg 21-24 mph (not who I ride with) normally take off about 10 minutes before anyone else. At 47 years old I am not so old as to have lost that competitive spirit I had when I was younger, but not so dumb that I don't know that my best competitive years are behind me as well.:)
Didn't realize you were that old..... :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Good one Xela, good one!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Me thinks there is a lurker in our midst!:eek:

Ok, I'm 46 till Feb. :)