Two Spoke Forums banner

Getting Spray paint of a Bike?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  paultech6 
#1 ·
Anybody got any clue how to get spray paint of a bike? I was looking on Craigslist and there's a bike that I liked. I contacted the seller and he said that the bike was in good condition but that he had spray painted it a few years back and it was starting to flake. First question is how would I get the old paint off? Second question Would having any of the gears chains brake lines being spray painted affect the riding ability of the bike and third what would I use to repaint the bike? I know it's long sorry guys.

#3 · (Edited)
Different cleaning chemicals will do different things. There are probably chemicals you could use that would dissolve only the crap paint, and leave the good stuff underneath. But it would take careful experimenting. And any time you just want bare metal that can be arranged with a stronger chemical paint thinner or something similar.

And about painting while assembled, I agree with the likely stolen assessment. The only time I've seen someone do that when it wasn't stolen, it was done by someone who was inexperienced, and never intended to get rid of their bike, and wanted to make it look cheap and unattractive to thieves. Not the sort of thing you'd likely do to a bike you don't care about and intend to sell, unless you had stolen it.

Although, I suppose it would be a decently cheap and easy way to prevent frame rust in the colder and wetter or saltier parts of the country.

#7 ·
I stripped a bike not to long ago and if you use fine grit paper and a mask you should be ok. Take it down to just after the gloss to keep from scratching the metal and then paint over it. You don't have to remove all the paint in order to repaint. It's better that you don't then you won't have to prime the metal. Painting over paint works better for after market painting I've found. You can use spray paint again, just make sure to use a sealer spray over the paint when it dries.

#8 ·
Soda blast

look into getting it bead blasted or soda blasted then you can check the welds too make sure there is no cracking or perferations in the weld then have it powder coated whatever color you want and you will never have to worry about nicks or scratches again
paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.