Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm purchasing my first road bike. I want to use it to commute to the gym and to run other errands. But, I also want to be able to go on weekly (or more often) rides. I have some pretty serious wrist issues (arthritis/tendonitis) and knee issues, so it's a bit of a question how much I'll be able to ride. But I'm hoping/praying that my body can take some riding again.

I went to my lbs and rode a ML Giant Defy 2 (2013) and really liked it. My question is about the differences between the Defy 1 and 2. Sadly, they do not have a Defy 1 in stock, so I can't test it. The price difference is $999 (with pedals) vs $1269 (w/o pedals), so I can assume that I'd need to spend maybe $15 to get some pedals with straps.

The Defy 2 was comfortable and snappy, which I really liked. What are the reasons to upgrade to the Defy 1? Does anyone have any thoughts? Pros or cons?

There is the minor issue of cosmetics :) I don't really like the silver color of the Defy 2 and think that the White/Red paint job of the Defy 1 looks pretty nice.

Thanks!

~Brad

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Brad-

the drivetrain is what is going to be your difference, the Defy 1 has 105 and the 2 uses Tiagra.

couple of things:

1. 105 is a workhorse group, I had it for a few years on a road bike and never had a problem with it, never.
2. tiagra is a lower price point group of components and with that comes some durability/weight.
3. I think for your intended usage, its negligible. Honestly, you can always upgrade, but if you're just riding casually I see no issue with the Tiagra (Defy 2).
4. If you don't like the wya a bike looks, you aren't going to ride it. Go for what you like.
5. Frames are identical with those bikes but still try each out.
6. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. You said that the tiagra comes with some durability? Do you think that it is more durable than the 105?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
In my limited experience, 105 was flawless, but at the time I was using 105, the Tiagra group hadn't received as much trickle-down from the more expensive groups. I cannot vouch for Tiagra's durability, others can though.

Someone here, maybe synack can chime in, or I think davereo both used Tiagra with no problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For that little price difference the Defy 1 with the partial 105 component group seems like the better buy to me. If you like the colour scheme better that's icing on the cake!

If you liked the ride of the Defy2 you can rest easy that the Defy1 will be at least as good and more likely better.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
For the difference in price, go with the Defy 1. I had a Defy 2 and loved it. Mine was a 2009 model, so the components were 9 speed and not all Tiagra (Sora shifters) but it did well for over 3,000 miles that I rode it. As kixsand said, if you like the color of the Defy 1, that makes it an even better deal. I won't worry about the Defy 1 not having any pedals. You'll most likely change them a time or two before making the leap to clipless.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Good advice! And, oh by the way, welcome to the forum!! Hang around and let us know what you decided to do and how you adjust to riding again!

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I own one road bike with Tiagra components. My 09 Synapse has Tiagra. Last year I road over 5000 miles and put the bike down heavily on a chip coat road. The right brifter took the brunt of the impact it twisted around about 90 degrees and got scarred mightily by the road surface.

I am pleased to report that the brifter still works flawlessly. 105 may be the bench mark for road groups but Tiagra is not that far behind.

For the type of riding you are planning on Tiagra is a good component group.

I also own bikes with 105 and Ultegra and can tell you that with the bikes adjusted properly you cant physically tell the difference when riding. The weight difference is minor in the scheme of things and I would suggest not getting to wrapped up in bike weight issues when just getting into cycling.

·
Registered
71 Posts
brad_keen said:
Hi,

I'm purchasing my first road bike. I want to use it to commute to the gym and to run other errands. But, I also want to be able to go on weekly (or more often) rides. I have some pretty serious wrist issues (arthritis/tendonitis) and knee issues, so it's a bit of a question how much I'll be able to ride. But I'm hoping/praying that my body can take some riding again.

~Brad
Brad,
Just a couple of points to add.
I suggest getting a proper bike fit in order to minimise aggravating your injuries.
Also I would say that a performance bike, as any decent racer is, warrants proper shoes and pedals, by that I mean the clip-in variety.
These would work much better with any fitting that you get done, by properly controlling your foot position and saddle height, and they'll help you get the most from your bike.
Simon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Thanks for all of the advice. I'd thought about clips, but hadn't wanted to get them yet. I'm going to a bike shop Monday that has both bikes in stock, so I'll be able to test them out...back to back. Sadly, this shop is an hour away. I wish my lbs had both bikes. Instead, they'll only order the Defy 1 if I put a down payment on it. So, it's off to the other shop. I'll definitely keep you posted!

I think that both shops do a professional "fitting". At least I hope so.

·
137 Posts
i have tiagra components on my Giant and have had no issues at all with them, i have used it in triathlons and long rides. When i do have to replace the parts though i do plan on upgrading to 105s

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Defy 1 came in this week and I tried both bikes back to back. The "1" was great, but, and this is interesting, something about the ergonomic grips/shifters of the 1 aggravated my wrists.

I realized that I really wouldn't be able to do the type of riding that would justify the extra money for the Defy 1. I bought the Defy 2.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm looking forward to loving this bike.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Still a good choice and a good bike. Now ride it until it falls apart.

·
Banned
29 Posts
According to me Defy 2 got a 105 group set, which would be an improvement over Tiagra. The Defys are very comfortable - I've ridden a 2009 Defy 2 and it just soaks up the bumps.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
The Defy 1 came in this week and I tried both bikes back to back. The "1" was great, but, and this is interesting, something about the ergonomic grips/shifters of the 1 aggravated my wrists.

I realized that I really wouldn't be able to do the type of riding that would justify the extra money for the Defy 1. I bought the Defy 2.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm looking forward to loving this bike.
The Defy 2 has been a Bicycling Magazines Editor's Choice every year running since 2008. I had a 2009 Defy 2 and it was an awesome first road bike. It was all Tiagra except the brifter were Sora and it was a 9 speed. I would still have it if I had a place to keep it.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Great choice Brad. The Defy 2 is a fine bike and the Tiagra group will gie you many high quality miles. Tjose who said that the Tiagra group will give you potential durability issues are speaking with a forked tongue. People get so gear happy that they forget what meatters in the real world and that numbers and marketing hype do not tell you what you will experience. Enjoy your bike. I want a Giant Defy for my next bike as a back up bike.

Cheers,

Brian J.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts