Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, but know a little about cycling... always room for some more knowledge though, so constructive responses would be more than welcomed!

I have been riding a Giant MTB for years - regularly off road as well as daily commutes (on roads/cobbles and tracks).
I have recently moved from the cobbled hills of Edinburgh to the flat tarmac of London and I would like to get a new bike, more suitable for the London commute but also rugged enough for some adventures! Additionally, with a couple of friends, I am planning an epic summer cycle tour from London to Santander - and wish for whatever bike I buy to be able to withstand the tour and also serve me well for my cycling afterwards.
- Drop bars are preferred
- I am new to compact vs triples (so am open to opinions/pros v cons).
- Pannier rack eyes were a restricting factor until I found the Topeak range of racks...
- Aesthetics and ergonomics are important

I have been looking at both the Giant TCX 1 - cyclocross bike and also the Giant TCR 1 - road bike.
TCX 1
TCR 1
TCR 1 Review
I think that the cyclocross bike would be suited to my needs, and like the set-up of the Giant TCX 1 (alternative suggestions are more than welcome).
Alternatively, the Giant TCR 1 is a beauty (far nicer aesthetics) but I fear I would be too rough for the 'road only' bike.

My concern about the cyclocross bike are the available frame sizes - XS (50cm), S (53cm), M (55cm), ML (56.5cm), L (57.5cm)
I am 6'2", and from recent road bike tests a 60-61cm frame seems the best suited to me. I understand that a smaller frame is preferred for cyclocross bikes, but a 'large' at 57.5 seems pretty small.
Do any of you have opinions on this matter/suggestions and advice?
Obviously, I would like a decent bike, am prepared to invest in one that I would/could use for a good couple of years.

Thanks

·
Banned
400 Posts
I'd get the bike that fits you and not go smaller cause some people think you should cause I don't think that's right. you should be able to stand over the top tube with an inch or less clearance I think. those are expensive bikes! why do they cost 1600? personally if I was going to pay that much i think i could find something better even if it was for a little more. I just got a trek utopia. I use to ride a mnt bike too. a trek utopia is like a cyclocross bike when it comes stock but I made some changes to it to make it even more road friendly however it's around 27lbs but it really isn't an issue unless you're going up hills a lot.

·
Jay
35 Posts
I got a Giant OCR Limited a few years back in a L and it fit me pretty well after I put a higher stem on it. I'm 6'1" and I like it a little more upright. I've put over 10,000 miles on it with no problems except I replaced the cheap wheels that came on it with some Shimanos. (R 500 I think) I rode it on a lot of pretty rough streets and roads and haven't had to do anything but replace the chain and tires. Brakes will probably be next. The LTD was about the equivilent of the OCR 2 so a TCR 1 should be plenty durable.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have a Jamis Aurora Elite it is 631 chrome molly and comes in 48,51,56,58,61cm Nice touring bike or commutor. mine has a triple but 2011 comes with a dubble. it has disc brakes allso and it comes with fenders and rear rack. Jamis has a good lineup of steel frame bikes. I realy like mine .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts