Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody watching the Giro? I've been real impressed with Phinney. Not just because he won the ITT Saturday, but with the way he has handled the bad luck he had at the end of Stages 2 and 3.

If you want to see one of the most unprofessional moves in professional cycling of late, check out the finish of Stage 3. You can skip to about 5 minutes in to see what I'm talking about. Ferrari was relegated for this, but I think he should have been booted.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2012/5/7/3004692/replay-giro-ditalia-stage-3-sprint-and-crash

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Man...I had to get 2 new DVR boxes and totally forgot about this. Is it on NBCSH or interent only?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, NBC showed Stage 2 highlights Sunday. I bought the $20 package on Universal that lets you watch live or On-Demand. Their site makes it look like this is free for Dish customers. So, if you're one of those, you should look into it. I don't like the announcers, especially after listening to Harmon and Kelly on Eurosport, but the quality is nice, as is the on-demand option.

·
889 Posts
I've been watching online. Unfortunately it doesn't get nearly the coverage on television that it should.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Not been watching but keeping up with it in snippets and newslines. Like you I am impressed with the young gun Phinney. He may soon be coming of age :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Important mountain stage today. Anybody watching on Universal Sports? I bought the online package, and I always hate it when they cut from Carlton Kirby and Daniel Lloyd to the Steve Schlanger and Tod Gogulski (sp?). Why are American announcers so bad?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Because they lack phrases such as "Xela turns his pedals in anger, trying to minimize his losses". . .

I've not caught one day of the Giro, I DVR'd a 45 minute recap on the Italian channel that I have yet to watch. . .

Its the one event I like to watch each year but Comcast here in MD lacks anything good for coverage of that, TdF and VdE. I did catch all of the Spring Classics though.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's not showing much Tour form so far. He skipped the Giro, with the said reason being to prepare for the TdF. Instead he rode the Tour of CA, but there he only managed to finish in 32 and you didn't see much of him at all, except when he was working for Sagan.

Basso is Liquigas's big hope for the Giro. He looked pretty good today, but I still think there are about 7 legitimate contenders for the overall.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I was behind Basso 100% until I learned of the doping. I understand that in most professions, people will do whatever they can to get an edge over the competition.

It just sickens me that most of us will do what we can to improve and the "professionals" take an easy way out. I'm sure if it was my livelihood at stake, I might be easier to sway to cheat, but still.

I know doping waxes and wanes, but I just have a hard time getting behind someone who cheats. Granted a one-time "I made a mistake" can be forgiven but. . .

I was hoping that the Australian team (GreenEdge?) would do well; always nice to see things shaken up every once in a while. I've been disappointed with LiquiGas so far this year.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
I was hoping that the Australian team (GreenEdge?) would do well; always nice to see things shaken up every once in a while. I've been disappointed with LiquiGas so far this year.
I've been following GreenEdge this year. I like the looks so far

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks nasty today with about 16,000 ft of elevation gain. Tomorrow is just as bad. I got a feeling we're gonna have a good idea of the winner after today.

giro.jpg

Attachments

·
889 Posts
Ryder Hesjedal wins the Giro! A fellow Canuck finally wins a grand tour! Hopefully this brings more coverage of cycling to Canada (and North America)!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts