Give Up Motorcycling For Cycling?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Casualcyclist, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

Has anyone given up motorcycling (recreational, not commuting) for riding bicycles, as a hobby?

I took up motorcycling at a bit more "advanced" age 13 years ago.

This summer, I "rediscovered" bicycles.

I have found myself leaving the Yamaha FJR1300 in the garage through the late summer/fall in preference to riding the bicycle on the bike paths.

I don't know if this is an early infatuation with a new activity that will ballance out or a trend from one activity to another. Thought I'd check to see if this is something anyone else has encountered.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I sold my Ninja to buy an engagement ring and then took up cycling thinking it would be less expensive. Many thousands of dollars in bikes, parts, and accessories later it turns out it wasn't but I still enjoy it.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I sold my Goldwing GL1800 (married guy's bike) when I was going through a divorce, and got a cruiser (single guy's bike) to replace it. Since then, I've gotten another cruiser, and two more bicycles. While I'm hoping to ride bicycles more, I'm not giving up motorcycling. We've already got another purchase planned.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I still dabble with bikes. Have an old Norton project gathering dust. Something about working on manageable motors will always hold a fascination to me. Car motors on the other hand I want no part of.

5. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

if it's simply gathering dust, go ahead and send it to me! I'll make sure to finish the project, ride her well, and take pictures as well! :p

6. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I bring my Honda Magna and my bicycle to Florida every year to ride thru the winter. I've found I'm putting more miles on the bicycle than the motorcycle. But I'm not selling the motorcycle.

Some of my stops while riding the bicycle are the local motorcycle shops. When riding the motorcycle, I'm checking out routes and trails to ride the bicycle.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I ride an old Honda 250 XL. Motorcycles and bicycles are made for each other.

One rider in our clutch has a BMW with flatbed sidecar he carries 2 road bicycles on to races. It's a sight. He tells those who ask, the bikes are his spare tyre substitutes.

8. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

I found myself doing that, too.

I am not ready to sell the motorcycle. I think some of my current thought is driven by cycling being new to me and we had one of the worst summer seasons, here, for motorcycling.

I am still planing to go to the Toronto Motorcycle Show on Dec. 11th.

9. Industry_Hack

On modern cars, there's nothing you can even mess with. And I'm OK with that. I love my car, but it's just an appliance that gets me places when I can't take something with two wheels. I think I've dabbled enough with V8s, 4WDs, and sticky little slot cars.

10. f1xedgear

f1xedgear SCREW COASTING

nah, not give up; but I do have difficulty finding balance.

Just yesterday morning weather radar showed a nice strong band of wet weather heading through central NC. What should I do? Drive the car to work? Umm, no. okay, so which bike? I decided that I would have more "fun" on the bicycle. It was a miserable ride in, but I took more pleasure in the misery on my bicycle than I think I would have on my moto.

11. Industry_Hack

I can stretch my ride home by taking the twisty road that runs along the edge of the lake, or make it a really long ride by going through the mountains. But even that cannot make up for less than 20 degrees in the morning.

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I rode a lot of miles on the old Harleys from the 40 knuckle, to the 65 pan head, to the 80 shuvel head and the 84 softtale . I rode cost to coast and back fue times, made every major bike event. and then one day I said to my self, I just dont feel like rideing any more and parked the bikes. My son rides my grand son rides and thy have tryed to get me to take the old 65 panhead out and ride with them but I just don't feel like rideing any more. But I can't seam to get enough riding on the bike I think someday I will not want to ride the bike any more. I am starting to feel old at a mere 65
    By the way I started rideing on a wizzer then a 441 Victor the a Nortin befor the Harleys and a fue Hondas in between

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  13. f1xedgear

f1xedgear SCREW COASTING

Hehe. Agreed. As much as I can curse and shake my fist at Mother Nature, I do bow my head and submit on occasion.

I think you've put your finger on another reason I consistently choose my bicycle over the moto, when the choice is available--I'm 50 but I don't feel 50, and I believe it's largely due to staying on the bicycle. I used to like the competitve side of things, but now I'm in to commuting and the old enthusiasm for the pedal bike has returned as strong as ever.

14. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I used to ride a motorcycle; but the more bicycling I did, the less I rode the motorized one. I sold it about 20 years ago. Yeesh, has it been that long?

15. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have a 2006 GSXR 750 that I still ride recreationally. I will say this past summer, I road it a lot less because I was spending more time on my Specialized. I wouldn't give up my motorcycle though. I have time for both, and as long as one doesn't get jealous of the other....I'm good to go.

16. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

I went the other way

I started commuting with my old Trek touring bike and wound up putting it on the light rail halfway to school. having to deal with the upwardly mobile zombies on the way to and from school was sucking the life out of my soul. So I built a motor bicycle, Its a old giant mountain bike (1995 about) that I set up with a 2 cycle motor and I ride it over the hill into town. It gets about 150 miles per gallon and it will go about thirty mph. When I get down to the school commons I hit the kill switch and go into "stealth mode" and just pedal it around campus.

Lately I have been riding my fixed gear on my rollers twice a day so I can stay in better shape, I have a ride "set" on my MP3 player. I am only up to about seven miles a day but with the help of providence I'll be back to my usual eighteen or twenty. Hopefully the more I ride the less there will be of me.:cool:

Mike Frye-the bike guy