Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes my riding is going down hill fast. last week I was going up the hill and 3 young ladies past me gigiling. I thaught there young and good riders. Then a cupple of days later same hill a realy old looking guy ( I am 65 ) on what looked like an old 10 spd schwinn past me got to the top of the hill turned and smiled. When I got to the top of the hill he was out of site. Then there was a guy on what looked to be a beater bike you know a beatup old fat tire cruser past me on the flats but the last straw was the Basset hound that ran me down and caught me, that was realy the last straw. I am getting older and slower every day I will be 66 in a cupple of weeks. If I don't pick up some speed I think I will fall over when I ride.:eek:

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I wouldn't worry about those guys, you aren't racing them. If I had a dollar for everyone younger than me that passed me I would not be in debt.

At least the cuties passed you, I usually go slow so that happens. On a climb? I would have to stop.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XELA I had a 3 leged dog when I was a kid I rember he ran pretty fast:D

FUNETICAL you don't thing I would slow down for them to pass do you :rolleyes:

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Wild I have the solution for you. This way you can ride but not fall over when you get really slow. Two words, training wheels. Now if you want to continue to look cool then you have an even better option, trike.

Keep the rubber side down, and smile as the cuties pass.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do thay make a 3 wheel recumbent. I might as well be comfortable :D

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got in 22 miles yesterday avg 11.8 mph. Trying to find new route that will keep me in the sun and out of the wind, got to keep them old bones warm :D
Only going to get 10 miles in today,it is hard to make good time on my 10 mile loop lots of turns and going by the farm fields lots of wind.
I am going to the Dragstrip to see some old friends and bring a friend a part . I have not evean looked at my race car in a long wile:(

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I am still rideing, Slow and old, that is what I am thinking of changing my handel to :D. I got one of them indoor fluid trainers for my birthday man them things are hard to peddle, a half houre is about all I can do a a time. My birthday is next week but the wife could not carry it in to hide it, so I got it early :thumbsup:

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I got 17 miles in yesterday, but I dont feel good like when I was geting 25 miles in and my avg spd was only 11.1 MPH the legs are not there. Just a tired old man. I have changed my root to get in the sun more as it is starting to get chilly around here, it was 52* yesterday when I started out.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I've been losing my legs a lot here recently. I went from an everyday commute to driving everyday. Now that I'm back on the bike, my legs are sore.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
working it

I have been working on going farther every day. So far I am doing about seven miles a day but my ride starts half way up the west hills in Portland. I started to ride my rollers as a supplement so I could get in at lest ten miles a day. I think I am finally starting to show a bit more power in my climes. I haven't even been riding my road bike but a converted 94 Giant mountain bike that has a very "road bike" stance to it. Its set up so that the position is about where you are in about the middle of the drops on my road bike and the handle bars are a little wider than my road bike, but not much.

Tomorrow I am going to try the same route on my road bike and see how it "feels" .

I may not have gotten any faster (no computer) but I feel better. and lately when I got passed I just latched on their rear wheel until I needed to turn off. I said to them "thanks for the tow" and pealed off.

Mike-retired to the home for the perpetually slow-Frye

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like you are going in the right direction. I will be getting on the trainer this morning as the wind is realy gusting out there.
Yesterday 21 miles but I only avg 10.1 mph. When I left it was 53*a little nipy but by the time I made my turn around the wind was up to 30 mph gusts and a head wind to boot. when I got to the last hill just about to the top I think the bike stoped at least it felt like it stoped, man it was blowing, Made it home was cold and tired, but I felt it was a good ride.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Wild, have you tried warming up on your rollers before getting out that way you are already warmed up? I know starting in the morning is an issue for me, but when I'm warmed up I can go all day. Just a thought.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I took the day off yesterday for my birthday 66 years old :rolleyes:
last year I tryed to ride 65 miles for my birthday I only got 62 had a blowout. So that showes me where I am at :eek:
I have thaught about warming up on the trainer but I am allways running late :D retired and running late to no where. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts