Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I began riding again back in early spring, one of my goals for the year was to do a century ride. Seemed pretty ambitious at the time when my average riding distance was barely in the double digits.

I remember my first 50 mile ride back in May. Took 4 hours to do and I went home exhausted and laid on the couch the rest of the day. And walked around with leg pains for the next three days. Two weeks ago I rode 75 miles in 4 1/2 hours, went home and cut an acre of grass with a push mower... I think I'm ready to make good on my goal.

Saturday morning, forecasted to start out at a chilly 37 degrees I plan to head off to the Georgia/Alabama line which is a little over 50 miles from my house. I'll hang out in the Central time zone for a snack and head back. Would like to do it under 6 hours, but I think that's pushing it with some of the terrain I have to go through.

Last night I ordered a long sleeve jersey and a long pants. Hope they get here before Saturday.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wild! Just got an email with the tracking number for my cool weather gear and it'll be here by end of day tomorrow. The high Saturday should barely get to 60 so the gear will feel good. Rain is supposed to come in tomorrow through tomorrow night so will have to ride through a bunch of wet fallen leaves much of the day. I love the smell of the leaves in the fall... riding through them, not so much. Very excited about the ride though.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
When I began riding again back in early spring, one of my goals for the year was to do a century ride. Seemed pretty ambitious at the time when my average riding distance was barely in the double digits.

I remember my first 50 mile ride back in May. Took 4 hours to do and I went home exhausted and laid on the couch the rest of the day. And walked around with leg pains for the next three days. Two weeks ago I rode 75 miles in 4 1/2 hours, went home and cut an acre of grass with a push mower... I think I'm ready to make good on my goal.

Saturday morning, forecasted to start out at a chilly 37 degrees I plan to head off to the Georgia/Alabama line which is a little over 50 miles from my house. I'll hang out in the Central time zone for a snack and head back. Would like to do it under 6 hours, but I think that's pushing it with some of the terrain I have to go through.

Last night I ordered a long sleeve jersey and a long pants. Hope they get here before Saturday.
Going by yourself?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. 6 hours of solitude :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Enjoy the ride! I rode my first century in May. I've done a total of four, the last was a triple metric. I don't ride as fast as you though.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Have a great 1 Pool. :thumbsup:

Going for a long solo ride myself Saturday but not sure of how far I am going yet. With early winter weather patterns forming this may be the last "nice" opportunity for me to just get out and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have a great 1 Pool. :thumbsup:

Going for a long solo ride myself Saturday but not sure of how far I am going yet. With early winter weather patterns forming this may be the last "nice" opportunity for me to just get out and enjoy.
The weather gremlins appear to want to mess with my ride. The rain that was to come through here this morning and be gone by afternoon is about a half day late so rain won't be out of here till early morning. Tomorrow will be windy and isn't forecast to break out of the 50's. But... like you said, it's probably the nicest weather I'll have for a while so have to take it. On the bright side, I won't need to take near as much water as I did back in the summer.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yep, best to stick with the same drinking pattern even though it's chilly out. You still need plenty of water. I try for a quart an hour.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turned out to be a less than optimal day for it, and I almost canceled the ride till another day because the forecast was for a high in the mid 50's and winds 15-20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. But I'm stubborn so did it anyway.

The long thermal pants and long sleeve jersey that arrived yesterday were a welcome addition this morning. It was 41 degrees when I started. Everything except my ears and cheeks were very comfortable.

Well, the forecasted wind showed up as expected and of course chose to blow in my face the whole trip. The wind kicked my #$%@. My hope of doing the ride under 6 hours got blown away. At least as the day progressed the wind got warmer. At the end of the day it took 6 1/2 hours to do the 108 mile trip.

I was exhausted when I got home and am pretty sure I'll sleep good tonight. The best part of the ride was something that I really enjoy this time of year, the smell of just dropped leaves. It smells of Fall. It was a great ride.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Turned out to be a less than optimal day for it, and I almost canceled the ride till another day because the forecast was for a high in the mid 50's and winds 15-20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. But I'm stubborn so did it anyway.

The long thermal pants and long sleeve jersey that arrived yesterday were a welcome addition this morning. It was 41 degrees when I started. Everything except my ears and cheeks were very comfortable.

Well, the forecasted wind showed up as expected and of course chose to blow in my face the whole trip. The wind kicked my #$%@. My hope of doing the ride under 6 hours got blown away. At least as the day progressed the wind got warmer. At the end of the day it took 6 1/2 hours to do the 108 mile trip.

I was exhausted when I got home and am pretty sure I'll sleep good tonight. The best part of the ride was something that I really enjoy this time of year, the smell of just dropped leaves. It smells of Fall. It was a great ride.
6.5 hrs is a damned respectable time for 108 miles and the wind! AWESOME ride. I'm purty sure I would have backed out of that with the winds like that

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad you got it done! 108 miles that's pretty freaking impressive!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all... I'm paying for it this morning. My right knee hurts a little. Shouldn't be a surprise though, it is my dominate leg and I was really pushing hard to get through the wind. All in all I don't feel too bad.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Atta Boy!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts