Going WalMart free

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SUX VR40 Rider, Mar 9, 2010.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

My wife and I are working on going walmart free. We have found one more item we would rather purchase else where even though it is at a higher price than buying it at walmart.

To date we are walmart free with all of our grocery's, dog food, clothing, sporting goods, hardware, tools, paint, laundry products, housewares, furniture 99% of our hygiene products. The most recent thing we are walmart free with is SafeSkin purple nitrile gloves. We have certain things we use the gloves for, medical care for our dog is one of them. I recently found them at Walgreens. Thus I will never have to buy them from walmart again.

Shopping at walmart is like an addiction. It is very hard to break it. Just a few more things to go and we will be completely walmart free.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What do you have against WalMart?

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I'll tell ya what I have against Walmart. They sell cheap junk masquerading as mtn bikes. I have nothing against cheap bikes, but I do have a problem with bikes that have knobby tires and dual suspension, but have a sticker that reads: "NOT FOR USE OFF ROAD."

4. Industry_Hack

I don't disagree with that. But they're hardly alone there.

5. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I have family members who won't shop at Walmart just because they feel (and it can probably be substantiated) that Walmart has killed the smaller mom and pop shops because they just can't compete with a giant like that.

I avoid Walmart for a completely different reason -- I hate all the inconsiderate people that clog up the aisles... I'd rather shop somewhere else and pay a little more for a quiet and empty store :)

6. Industry_Hack

Dude, I love the circus!

7. SUX VR40 Rider

Let's see, where to begin. First watch the documentary Walmart the High Cost of Low Prices. It will really open your eyes. You can find it on the internet to watch for free I believe.

Second:
    1. They are union busters.
    2. They do not pay over time even if the employee worked the hours, this is illegal.
    3. They fudge the hours to avoid having to pay OT.
    4. They undercut the small mom and pop shops and force them out of business.
    5. When they build a large supercenter to replace a smaller store they do not allow anyone they consider a competitor to lease the former building and location. As a result the former smaller store buildings sit as empty shells that attract the criminal element.
    6. The employees are not the greatest. I have lost count of how many times I have heard one say "That is not my job." Just ask and I'll give you an example on when it happened to me directly.

This is just a short list but watch the video.

8. Industry_Hack

Really? Wow! How do they ever manage to stay in business? I bet no one shops there. Lucky for us, they're the only company in the US to engage in questionable practices. You should invest the money that you're not spending there with Goldman Sachs.

9. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Free markets = Good

10. SUX VR40 Rider

Spoken like either a walmart employee or a walmart addict who is not ready to let go just yet.

I never nor implied walmart is the only company who engages in questionable practices. They probably are the top 5 if not the worst offenders though.

Let me summarize for ya. walmart is the ******* of the cheap retail department stores. At one time they were merely the arm pit but have moved down since.

11. SUX VR40 Rider

I'll make it easy for you: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMYZwL8sPA"]walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices, Part 1[/ame]

12. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I don't shop at Wal-Mart either. Just don't like the experience of it.

13. hophead

Nor do I. The last two times that I was stupid enough to go there, it was a complete waste of my time.

Most recently I called my local Wally Mart for a mapping Garmin GPS that they had the best price by far that I could find. They claimed to have it in stock. When I got there, I could scarcely find an employee that knew what a GPS was, let alone the specific model that I called for. Of course, they didn't have it.

The time before that, I called about a Remington 870 12 gauge Super Mag shotgun. Remington offered this gun several ways. I was looking for the one that had a regular field barrel with the Rem-chokes and the rifled slug barrel. They claimed to have one. I went to Wally World again and fought my way through the unwashed masses to the sporting goods department only to find out that the model they had in stock came with the smooth bore slug barrel rather than the rifled barrel. ARGH!

Never again!

14. SUX VR40 Rider

When you asked for help did you get the answer that is not my job, instead of I do not know but please let me find someone who does know?

15. hophead

It's been a couple of years since I darkened their doorstep, so I don't recall the exact verbiage. I believe it was just a general ignorance rather than unwillingness to help.

16. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Honestly it's hard to find a Wal-Mart worker here that speaks English. Not exaggerating. My wife had to find something and went through 3 employees before one spoke broken English to her.

17. SUX VR40 Rider

The words "It's not my job." seem to be the favorite slogan at the walmart store closest to my house. Every time I have inquired about something with differant employees every one of them has said that and did not make an attempt to find someone who's job it is.

18. Nigal

Am I the only one here who, having read a few of Free's threads, envisions a very angry man walking through life with an ax in his hand just looking for places to grind it?

19. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Freemason, sorry to hear that your local hell-hole...I mean, Wal-Mart... treated you like that. Around here, NE Indiana, people get fired for saying that. I know -- having worked for those slave-drivers for 15 years.

I've heard the horror stories about the OT, but again, not here; they just send you home early on a Thursday (so you work a full pull on Friday).

Product quality is spotty, but there are a few things that you're shooting yourself in the foot over. SOME of W-M's generics are of as good a quality as anything you'll find anywhere. It's just a hit-and-miss to find them!

I can definitely understand not shopping there on principle; people do that all over. But W-M just keeps on rolling, gouging manufacturers and fleecing consumers, and bending employees (oops, associates) over the table.

Some people just can't boycott -- like those of us who work there, we can't AFFORD to do otherwise.

Oh, yeah -- hypocrisy here, too -- downloaded "Lawyers, Guns & Money" for my mp3 -- they censored it. Re-acquired a good copy from Amazon, deleted the edited version. Cost me 94c.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  20. Nigal

I've known a few people who worked there and they liked it. I don't care for their food stuff too much. I don't like processed foods and they are loaded to the gills with the crap. Their organics selection is very limited.

As far as the treatment of workers that is between them and their employees. the worker entered into an agreement based on what Walmart is willing to pay and under what conditions. It's not like they make certain promises and then once the worker takes the job they trick them and change the agreement. Bottom line; people started working there of their own free will. It's not a societal thing.