Good Afternoon from chilly NJ

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kneedrachen, Jan 20, 2010.

1. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Good Afternoon All, name is Alex. I took a several year hiatus from casual mountain biking as work and life got in the way and managed to pack on quite a few pounds during my wife's pregnancy (felt bad she was eating Ben&Jerry's all by herself). My daughter was born and has gone through quite a bout of health problems during her first 4 months of life so far (CaringBridge / julietdunn / Welcome). The combination of stress and no time coupled with the ease of fast food led to rapid weight gain and decrease in overall well being and health (I'd successfully gone from 220 some odd pounds down to 143 pounds just by eating properly in over a year and a half). One day last week while in the garage, what caught my eye? My lonely 2004 Trek 4300 languishing in the corner. A quick persual online led to a subscription of Bicycling Magazine as well as a quick trip to Barnes and Noble for the latest issue (coincidentally there was an article about a gentleman who lost a tremendous amount of weight by bicycling and eating properly). I pumped air into the tires, lubed the drive chain and cables, and rode in to work today (3.2 miles). Yes, my legs burned before the end of my street, but by the time I got to work I'd never felt better before in my life, physically.
    I'm doing this for myself and for my family. The junk food is out of the house, the self-discipline switch has been flipped to "on." No more excuses, no more cheating with junk food. I'll slowly get better tires, a computer, etc. For now, I'll focus on getting my body the way it needs to be. Long term goal? A better state of being physically while being able to bike a marathon. Short term goal? Getting to the end of my street without having my legs feel like they're being stuck in an inferno! ;)

Stay safe,

Alex

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Welcome! Sounds like a good goal. Heart breaking dealing with health problems with your children. Is she doing better now?

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Welcome to the forums.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Welcome to Twospoke.com. You'll get there! I gained a lot of weight with my wife's pregnency, I almost have it off two and a half years later.

5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Alex welcome from the southern part of the state the weather has bin nice the last fue days and we are getting in some good rideing, hope you are having the same.

6. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Dean-

She is making progress, but it seems to be 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. As of Friday night, she is off of her apnea/bradycardia monitor, it looks like it will be a permanent decision by the doctor which is a good thing. The whole other slew of problems she has well, we will get through each one as best we can.

Wild-

Monmouth County seems to hover around 20 degrees in the morning, I was going to ride in the morning, but opted to take my car due to ice on the roads this morning (conincidentally, there was none yesterday). I go home for lunch so the plan is to drive home at lunch time and then take my bike back to work after lunch and then go home by bike at the end of the day. All in all, not a bad situation.

Handsome Ryan-

Thank You for the welcome.

And the gentleman who gained weight while his wife was pregnant-

At least you are sympathetic to my situation, thank you. I was worried I'd be alone on this one.

Ride Safe,

Alex