Good beginners Roadbike?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by chaco24, May 20, 2010.

1. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

What is a good road bike for a complete beginner? I've got about $700.00 total that I can spend, Ill be riding about 10 - 50 miles a week on the bike. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

come on guys, no one has any advice or suggestions for me?

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I can't help as I ride a flat bar road bike, but I think for $700 you might have to look at used or leftover. maybe a Fuji Newest 2.0 can be had for that in an 09

4. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Just saw this question....I bought a 2009 left over from a local bike shop.
    Regular $850, I bought it for $650, brand new.
    It is a Giant Defy, and as an entry level it is nice. It's light and fast. I would check with local bike shops, especially right now any left overs will be sold at a discount, some even deal with the newer models.
    But in my opinion, the Giant Defy is a nice bike for what you're looking for. I'm ready to be blasted by the guys that ride 100 miles a day, but you and I both know they didn't really read your question when they reply.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Single speed or geared? What is the commute like? Flat? Hills?

6. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

I'm looking something with gears, and the commute is flats mixed with some hills. Eventually though I am going to want to do some long distance riding (50-80 miles) so I'd like to get a road bike that will be capable of doing that with little or no upgrading, if that is possible in my price range.

7. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

you can pick up a specialized Allez double for around that price range. I would also look at the trek 1.2. test ride both and see what you like more. dont go by the internet price you can pick these bikes up for less than MSRP at your local bike shop.

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well I would give the same advise for any brand new or relatively new cyclist. Go to the local bike shop, tell them what you have to spend and what you want to do with it. Then listen and ride it. Be extra careful with fit. Poor fit can cause not only misery, but injury if its too far off.

Bike shops have some of the nicest people. Mine always has someone there to answer a question, and some become friends. The young woman that sold me my last bike, and frankly won't forget it. I was in that price range and wound up with a Fuji Newest 3.0. My long term goal is touring and have added a rear rack and panniers. I just leave them both on figuring that if I am going to need them touring, better train with them now. I stop in an she talks about doing a 60 mile ride when I have struggled to do 20. She talks about loafing at 20, and Im huffing and puffing unless I am down hill. She is also drop dead gorgeous, and I am well NOT. Sorry guys she is very married, and also very professional. Yet she and everyone else that works there makes everyone that comes in feel welcome at all times.

Some talk about costs of the local bike stores, but its something you don't pay for that really is as much a part of the price of the bike at a local bike shop as the brand. You are paying for knowledge. Honestly that bike store bike a real bargain, even if your bike is a bit more.

9. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

thanx guys for all of the input, I'm looking at getting a used "03 Trek 2300 or a 2010 Felt Z100, which would be the better choice?

10. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

I would stay away from a 7 year old bike with out any warranty buy a new bike you will be happier and if you buy from a good bike shop you will get a professional fitting. The felt z100 is a good bike. like i said before the specialized allez double in my opinion is a better deal. The crank on the felt z100 is a FSA crank i would stick to Shimano. I would recommend you test ride everything and buy what feels better.

11. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

thanxs for the advice, will start looking at bikes in the shops before I decide. I was hoping to find a deal on ebay though, I keep seeing some pretty good prices on bikes there.

12. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

Ok, i just bought a 2009 TREK 2.3 that my neighborhood bike shop had on sale for $1100.00 which was kind of out of my price range, but seeing how I plan to use the bike as my new car I went for it. NOW I need advice on how to pedal with the blasted egg beater pedals and clip in bike shoes efficiently. And you were absolutely right Photosbymark, the guys at the bike shop were awesome, they got me fitted to the bike and told where I could find a group of slowpokes like myself to start riding with.

13. LDB

LDB New Member

Out of curiosity, which Texas bike shop are you talking about photosbymark?

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Sugar Cycles is one of the best shops Texas has to offer.

15. georgec

georgec Member

Yes sir thats who I deal with great people they have two location now both on Hwy.6 and within three miles of each other.

16. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Awesome. I know Brett, but only because I met him and his girlfriend at Interbike.