Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good (and as inexpensive as practical) cyclocomputer, preferably wireless? I had been using Cardio-Trainer for my Droid, but there's lots of trees on my usual route so occasionally the GPS signal gets lost and when it recovers it usually puts me out somewhere in Timbuktu.

"Great job, you rode 371 miles and burned 12,936 calories in 1:13.27." uhhh what?

Basically looking for something more reliable with speed, max speed, trip odometer, and odometer. Cadence would be kinda fun to play with too I guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got one of these recently, and put it on my MTB. After 7 miles on extremely rough terrain, it held up well. Waterproof.

Wireless Cycle Computer Bicycle Bike Meter Speedometer | eBay

Pros:

-Cheap, cheap, cheap.
-Fairly easy to install. Includes batteries and tie-wraps.
-Pretty damned accurate.
-Has many features
-Easy to read
-Did I mention it was cheap?

Cons:
-Had to use a small screwdriver to align the battery contacts to make them contact the battery properly.
-Waterproofing gasket is very thin and fragile.
-Not exactly snug on the clip holder.
-Like most cheap electronics from China, instructions require some thinking between the lines.
-Does not support the U.S. economy.

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Good and Cheap the ultimate oxymoron :D I'm sorry I'll leave now...:eek:

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry very tired :) Worked 14 days straight 12-16 hrs a day I'm not usually so obnoxious :rolleyes:
lol,it's ok; I'm dating a law student so you'd think I'd know not to ask questions like that by now haha :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I used to use Cardio-Trainer when I started walking/jogging late last year but also had issues with the gps losing itself a lot. I have since switched to Endomondo and rarely have a problem. The only problem using your phone is that it isn't very useful for real time information since leaving the screen on would kill your battery on all but the shortest rides. I start my app before I start riding, turn the screen off and keep it in my shirt pocket. I still use a cyclocomputer for real time speed, distance and clock.

I use the a wireless one from Specialized. Probably not the cheapest at $35 but I like that it mounts on the stem and it's very easy to read and use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Poolie, never thought about the screen issue. I've been looking to purchase a handlebar mount for my phone for a while and my biggest concern was what would happen if I hit a big bump. But the battery issue seems a bit more immediate.

It was going to be about $20 for the phone holder so $35 for the computer sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update for everyone I wound up getting the Specialized Sport wireless today and it seems pretty good, I'm actually going faster than I thought :D The guy at the bike shop said that they were upping their prices at the end of the year for it so for now it's $40 I don't remember what he said it was going to be.

It doesn't do Cadence (I think the higher end one does but that one's like $60 more and this whole riding a bike thing is draining my bank account lol) but I can really live without it, now I just need to learn how to keep my head up again instead of looking at the screen! :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
One thing I had to do with my was measure my front tire and use the custom configuration to get it dialed in perfectly. Now on a 30 mile ride it and my gps are within a couple tenths of each other.

Yeah, I know all about bank accout draining. The ups guy should up today and brought a new set of tires (ultra light racing tires). My wife says what's wrong with the tires on your bike.... uh, oh look... a baby wolf!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol I know, my parents were like "don't you already have a bike!?" (referring to my $80 Wal-Mart special for getting around campus)

·
Offroad Junkie
43 Posts
I think I will buy the handlebar mounts and use my Garmin nuvi
it does a tripometer, it is a speedometer and it is wireless, I have been wanting to see how many miles I do when I ride and speed is kinda cool

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely get a computer instead of just using your GPS, especially if you're going to be riding under trees and stuff. If distance is important and your GPS looses a couple satellites it could think you're on the other side of the planet and the next thing you know, congratulations, you just rode to Sidney!

The one I got from Specialized is perfect, it's pretty inexpensive and set up takes 5 minutes (7 if you screw up one of the zip ties :p )

1 - 20 of 90 Posts