Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have had a few pos Walmart bikes in the past. I am riding more often and am trying to get into the sport. So I have been browsing CL and other classifieds looking for a decent entry level bike.

Anyway...

Recently I found this Kona Blast on CL for $150. Needs work but I am debating if its a good price. The owner said all the cables have been cut and need replaced. He also said it needs some pedals. How accessible are the parts for the Kona's?

From the add:
Hello i am selling a Kona Blast. The bike is originally $700.00 new. The bike is missing pedals. Has brake and gear shifter cables cut, EASY FIX!!!!!!
Selling to get space out of my shed, have one other bike that i am also selling. PRICE IS FIRM!!! $150!!!! DISK BRAKES!!! Picture will follow

Thanks in advance guys!!!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Cable sets can probably be had for $50, installed. Pedals start around $20 and go up to however much you want to spend. If the rest of the bike checks out, and it's not stolen, that's probably a good deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

Where would be the best place to source parts? Or would you just recommend to take it to a Bike shop?

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
take it to the bike shop... in the long run it will most likely save you money adn for sure save you time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well bad news. After talking with the guy today he ended up selling it to a friend last night. Even though he said I could buy it from him yesterday. You gotta love CL. haha

Anyway I did find another Kona locally. Its a 2002 Stinky with a bunch of stuff on it. He is looking for $200 for it. I think its a reasonable offer so I jumped on it today. Hopefully will know something today if I am getting that one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you got the same bike for $200 and all is working... i think its reasonable enough to pick that one instead of buying the $150 that needs repair though the repair is only minimal you'll still end up $230 - $300 on it... depends on the prices of the broken parts...

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The Kona Stinky was a good bike for off road and light street use like commuting. It's a better bike then the first Kona you looked at. The Stinky sold for about a $1,000 MORE then the Blast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts