Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good places to get a custom bike? (Road bike).
I am really into vintage classic looking bike with modern technology. Anywhere I can start my hunt? (Local or online)

·
Registered
216 Posts
You could always try creating your own masterpiece. Find a bike you like that's in good condition and go step by step to make it your own. Myself and other members have been doing this (in varying degrees of depth) and IMHO its a very rewarding experience. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
I have the Raleigh Clubman. I think Raleigh is making some of the most stylish mass production bikes now days. And they don' have that same old souless look as the race bikes do. IMHO of course.

·
Jay
35 Posts
Try Rivendell if money's not a problem. I found an old Trek at garage sale and put new wheels, bottom bracket, bars, 8 spd. cassette and seat on it. Up the road I may put a set of modern shift/brake levers. There is a certain satisfaction to making one of your own as opposed to just buying one but finding a good frame out there can be time consuming.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Sadly, the guys that built my tandem are out of business. They could have built you a custom titanium road frame to your exact specs. You haven't mentioned a budget, but that set me back around $8k.

·
1,355 Posts
If I can spend your money for you, this one might fit the bill.

Seems to be retro to me.:D

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
Raleighs got some nice stuff. I've got a customer with that masi that rides the crap out of it. I've also had a guy bring in that soma frameset, those chrome lugs are pretty.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
platypius, Realy looking good,is that a custom frame. And how much would that puppy set me back

·
Registered
330 Posts
platypius, Realy looking good,is that a custom frame. And how much would that puppy set me back
Normally a Vintage would be, yes. I need 3 Cyfacs to be an official dealer, so I called to order a couple of Proxidiums. Mine was going to be the last one I ordered, later in the year. However, Eric knew I wanted a Vintage for myself, so he offered the NAHBS display frameset to me for a great price. Luckily, it's like it was made for me.

Retail on the frameset is $2600. As built (Athena 11, Mavic Aksiums) it's around $4500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really interested in the Cyfac bike. May I ask what are the components? Wheel set? Seriously interested. :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Really interested in the Cyfac bike. May I ask what are the components? Wheel set? Seriously interested. :p
Cyfac Vintage Rando F/F
Campy Athena 11 group (Chorus 11 cassette)
Mavic Aksium wheelset (It was all I had laying around... building wheels later)
Ritchey Classic stem
Origin-8 seatpost and handlebar
Avenir retro-style saddle
Clement 700x28 120tpi tires
Time iClic Racer pedals

I built it up for me, so the spec is probably odd.

Cyfac has 30,000 colours available. Lead time on a custom frame is 6-8 weeks, I think. There aren't many Cyfac dealers yet, but maybe you're lucky and have one close?

http://www.cyfac.fr/Pages/Dealers/Index.aspx

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The Soma is actually a good deal, you can find them on E-Bay brand new on closeout sale prices from a reputable bike shop. As you can tell it's a very classy looking bike.

Ciocc makes a lugged steel bike called the San Cristobal which has chrome lugs and the Replica with painted lugs. See: Coppi, Casati, and Ciocc Bikes From Italy!

Also the Cinelli Supercorsa which is a fantastic bike, see: Cinelli Bicycles USA

And Cyfac makes a very nice looking lugged touring frame called the Vintage, see: Build Your Bike

And Colnago still makes a lugged steel bike called the Master X Light though a bit pricey, see: Master X Light | Colnago

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
not steel but a really nice fully customized road bike that you could win any race on can be ordered from Orbea... they will even let you pick the paint and decals.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
You might consider Guru. They are into customization and will build you a bike in steel, titanium, or carbon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts