Got the Hauler all set up...

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by HandsomeRyan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

So I got the tandem hauler all set up...

2003 Mazda Protege5 (nice and small for whipping through DC traffic, manual trans)
    Vintage (12+ years old) Yakima roof rack given to me by my dad.
    Rocky Mounts tandem rail just picked up on craigslist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I have been thinking about getting a rack for my wife's Honda. Right now I just throw the bike in the pickup.

How long does it take to get the bike loaded?

3. HandsomeRyan

For the single bike on the Yakima rail, it takes about 30 seconds.

For the tandem, maybe a minute. The fork mount swivels so you clamp in the fork than swing the back tire up into the channel.

For low-roof'd vehicles a roof rack is a great (if somewhat expensive) method for transport.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

5. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

Looks like you did a good job.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

By the way, have you tried setting your timing 180 degrees out? It didn't work for us, but for more evenly-matched teams, it's supposed to be pretty smooth.

7. HandsomeRyan

I've never heard of 180° out of synch...? I've thought about moving the captains pedals 90° ahead of the stokers but having them synched at the same place is working fine and since all we ride are short distances on the greenway it hasn't been a big deal to ride it old-school.

After mounting/dismounting the tandem a few times I like the rack pretty well. If you drive a tall vehicle I'm not sure how the swiveling into place would work since the front chain ring is pretty close to the side of my car and I don't think there are many cars out there that sit considerably lower than mine (i guess some tandems [road type] are longer though).

I'm quite happy having a car again and now the ability to easily transport my bike(s) or the tandem. :D:thumbsup: