Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, do any of the smartphone gps apps work as well as a Garmin? I have a Saumsung Galaxy S 2 phone and a Garmin Edge 305. Thinking of getting the Cerevellum Hindsight 35 for the rear view camera, but it doesn't have gps. How does the phone work? Can you import phone data into Sport Tracks or Garmin Training center?

·
1,393 Posts
I have the Garmin Iphone app - only 99cents - wouldn't call it super accurate by itself - it does allow me to upload info to Garmin Connect - then I edit anything I need with the info from the Sigma computer on my bike - for ~$100 you can get attachments for your bike & the iphone which will make it on par with the 250-500 dollar Garmin computers

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
mars_yeldir said:
Hey, do any of the smartphone gps apps work as well as a Garmin? I have a Saumsung Galaxy S 2 phone and a Garmin Edge 305. Thinking of getting the Cerevellum Hindsight 35 for the rear view camera, but it doesn't have gps. How does the phone work? Can you import phone data into Sport Tracks or Garmin Training center?
I have an iPhone app called Cyclemeter that is very accurate. I have used it along with my Cateye Double Wireless and it is within three tenths of a mile difference over a 30 mile ride. The only issue I have had with some of the other iPhone apps is that they suck on battery life. I was only getting around an hours worth of battery life when the GPS was active. With Cyclemeter, I am getting double that and can get an entire 30 mile ride in with some battery life left. Not that much, but my wife's Garmin Forerunner watch also gets about two hours of battery life when GPS is on.

·
1,393 Posts
I also have noted that garmin really sucks the battery out of my IPhone - but lasts long enough (barely on a full charge) to finish a 2 hr plus ride - as I said before - I like that it automatically transfers the data to Garmin Connect - I have the Cyclometer app too - but I didn't think I could transfer data to the internet and my computer as easily

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts

Less buying, more riding!

Most people I have use Iphones and only use Strava. I'm still addicted to crackberry, so can't comment. I do like my Forerunner 405 though. . . .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have a Garmin (yet) but have had pretty good luck with my Droid Razr and the MapMyRide Android app. One time I lost the GPS signal halfway through a ride but other than that have not had any problems.

Ray

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I have the Cyclometer app too - but I didn't think I could transfer data to the internet and my computer as easily
It has it's own web site that it uploads to. The web site display is very similar to Garmin Connect. The thing I like about the Cyclometer app is that when you send your data to the web site, it sends an email to you with all the data for that ride and the link to the page on their site. Since I ride a MUP during the week, I don't use this app very often because my rides and stats are pretty much the same every day. I do use it when I ride with the bike club on different routes.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well right now, I have a Garmin Edge 305. I want the Cerevellum because I have low vision in my left eye and looking behind me is a problem. I have mirrors now, but the rear view camera would be better. Just didn't want two devices on the bars. I am spoiled to using Sport Tracks, and I don't want my data saved on the web. Just my preference. The Cerevellum is supposed to get gps and has a spot on the board for gps, but it is not done yet.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
130 Posts
My touch Phone

I have
a my touch Android phone with the Strava app. Does everything a bike computer does . With Strava you can register on their website and when you sync the app with website it stores all your rides and also anybody that rides the same route you can compete with based on miles ,time,etc
Uses very little battery power on my phone
paul
PS check strava out

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,138 Posts
John_V said:
I have an iPhone app called Cyclemeter that is very accurate. I have used it along with my Cateye Double Wireless and it is within three tenths of a mile difference over a 30 mile ride. The only issue I have had with some of the other iPhone apps is that they suck on battery life. I was only getting around an hours worth of battery life when the GPS was active. With Cyclemeter, I am getting double that and can get an entire 30 mile ride in with some battery life left. Not that much, but my wife's Garmin Forerunner watch also gets about two hours of battery life when GPS is on.
Wow. I thought my Samsung Android phone's battery life was horrible, but it'll handle a 4+ hr ride - albeit barely - running Endomondo or My Tracks. My Garmin GPS needs its 2 AA batts replaced after 12-20hrs of run-time, and unlike my phone, the Garmin's display stays active throughout the ride. The Garmin has yet to lose any mileage, too. I've lost count of the # of times my phone app has hiccupped and lost mileage.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
newleaf150 said:
Wow. I thought my Samsung Android phone's battery life was horrible, but it'll handle a 4+ hr ride - albeit barely - running Endomondo or My Tracks. My Garmin GPS needs its 2 AA batts replaced after 12-20hrs of run-time, and unlike my phone, the Garmin's display stays active throughout the ride. The Garmin has yet to lose any mileage, too. I've lost count of the # of times my phone app has hiccupped and lost mileage.
You would think that with all the innovations that Apple is putting into their smart phones, a better battery would be one of them. The iPhone is a really nice device until you want to use an app that requires the GPS be on for more than a few hours. My daughter's iPhone lasts about the same when she uses her runners app.

·
Registered
38 Posts
John_V said:
I use Cyclemeter also. I start it and turn the screen off. I also run my music and on a 2 hr ride I only use about 20-30%.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
pottsman21 said:
I use Cyclemeter also. I start it and turn the screen off. I also run my music and on a 2 hr ride I only use about 20-30%.
The last time I used it, it was on a 2 hour ride. I turned the screen off and kept the phone in my jersey pocket. Ended up with around 20% battery life left from a full charge. Next time I use it, I am going to turn off everything running in the background to see if that makes a difference. I have a 30 or so mile club ride tomorrow that I might try it on. I'll post the results at the end of the ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
paultech6 said:
I have
a my touch Android phone with the Strava app. Does everything a bike computer does . With Strava you can register on their website and when you sync the app with website it stores all your rides and also anybody that rides the same route you can compete with based on miles ,time,etc
Uses very little battery power on my phone
paul
PS check strava out
I have downloaded that app on my G2 phone and am going to track a ride tomorrow. Hopefully all will run smoothly! Glad you posted about it....

Valerie

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I use an iPhone and have run strava, and since I'm in the endomondo challenge have been using endomondo. Strava distance seems to be in line with distance on my Garmin foreunner 305 but just running the app there is a difference in elevation. As for Endomondo the elevation is way off and the distance seems to gain about 1/2 mile per 50 miles or so ridden.

I have also had a few times when the phone GPS loses contact with the satellites and I have lost some mileage due to that. There are accesories that connect to the phone for cadence/speed/and distance calculations that feed wirelessly (ANT) to the phone just like the Garmin. I'm not certain but you may be able to use the Garmin devices to connect to the phone. That should make stats quite a bit more reliable and consistent.

I am only speaking on the iPhone so if it is not on your list of phones ( it also has cameras on both sides of the phone) my advice may/may not be applicable.

Also, as far as battery usage, my ride today of 57 miles took 3 hours, I was running both Endomondo with the gps turned on and myiPod app on the phone and still had almost 60% of my battery power left when I reached home!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts