GPS Computer?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Skidmark, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I read about the Garmin and a couple of others. Some are wrist worn, others bike mounted. I would appreciate any opnions on them if you have experience with one. Thanks.

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 and the Garmin Edge 705, and I think they are great tools.

I started with the Forerunner and it is a wrist unit. However, for a small amount of money, you can get a bike mount kit that works well. As a matter of fact, the bike mount kit I have, actually protects the copper contacts on the back of the unit from corroding do to sweat. The features are good but there is no basemap so you really are limited with the GPS capability.

The Edge has base a base map, but you will most likely want the model with the detailed maps. The edge is completely bike mounted as it is a larger unit, so you won't see anyone with that thing strapped to their wrist.

Both are great units, however, the calorie calculations for both are way off. You will find they are calculated on distance and not based on your heart rate, which means you can burn 10,000 calories with out even peddling, just because you went a long distance (all down hill). The edge also has the ability to connect with wireless power meters. I don't have a power meter so this really isn't a big feature for me.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I also have the Edge. Another feature I like about it is that you can program workouts into it. Nice during these long, winter months when spending some time on a trainer is inevitable.

I also like being able to see plots of the routes I have done afterwards. Plus, with the Edge, you can overlay your rides on Google Earth and see where all you've been.

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

All very good points. I had completely forgotten about the workout capabilities. They really are great if you ride on a trainer/rollers. I have to say it is a good tool to keep your motivation up.

5. Skidmark

Hey thanks for the detailed reply, very helpfull. I can see the advantage of the bike mounted Edge although winter here just means I have to carry less water! I a inclined to get a wrist unit though because we are also trying to train for a baby triathlon next June.

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

If you are a runner and want something to use for both running and cycling, then something like then the Forerunner line is what your looking for. I still use my Forerunner 305 for running....and I actually use it to referee soccer games. All I needed to do was get fancy with the workout feature, but it works awesome.

7. Skidmark

Thanks much. Just found a sale on the 305 at LBS.

8. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

A buddy of mine just showed me his new wrist unit that he got for the equivalent of about 220 USD. It was compact and cheaper than I was expecting. Personally I wouldn't go for a wrist unit, I like the info available, readable in front of my snout with both hands on the bar. I know you can strap it on the bar but that's ugly (YES it matters). So far I am satisfied with only the normal bike data + heart rate from my POLAR CS100 but I am jealous of the info that the GPS guys post on our homepage after a ride, the route in map, elevation profile, pulse during various intervals, etc etc

9. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

+1 recommendation for the Garmin Edge 305. I use it to display & record lap times, cadence data, heart rate data, number of laps and distance. The software package is adequate....other options are available online.

10. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

The Forerunner 305 has a handlebar mount available and cadence units too. Also a foot pod for running on a tread mill.
    I use the 305 myself, for both running and biking.
    Not a big fan of wearing a hrm though, so that feature is no issue for me.

The only ... issue... with Garmin is:
    I use a MAC computer.
    There is not as good of programs and maps for the Mac as there is for a pc. Very limited choice and functionality for mac...
    Sporttracks is THE program to use...BTW...
    Not available, yet, in good working order for mac yet.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  11. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

That's it...couldn't recall the name. Too bad it hasn't been tweeked for the Mac yet.

12. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

The program that is included on the disk with the gps's is one called GTC (Garmin training center) for the MAC. It is a bit...rough. Still in beta, and the maps are poor, to be kind.:rolleyes:

I use a program, a FREE program, called "Trailrunner" for the MAC. It is not bad but is no sportracks, and it only reads the file created by GTC, so I still need that crap program.:mad:

I hear that sportracks for mac, a version that works well, is ready, it is just waiting for a unix patch to OSX:D

13. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i use my iphone and a free app called runkeeper. i am shopping around for a battery pack for my iphone to extend the battery life. so far this is what i found.

The Mili Power Pack doubles the power of your iPhone.

i figure rather than spend $60-$100 for a gps unit the battery pack will be sufficient.

14. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Also, choose your mount carefully and test it before heading out. I have a friend whose I-phone fell out of two different mounts, and that was on road rides. His protective phone case saved serious damage, luckily.

15. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I have an Edge 305 and it does everything I need it to plus a lot of stuff I don't even use. I use Map My Ride.com for uploading rides. I think I paid about $200 for a reconditioned one that also came with cadence monitor and heart rate monitor.

16. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i've looked at the mounts. However, I have decided i don't need to look at it while riding. once i turn the app on i throw it in my bag and dont think about it until we are done.

17. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

18. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

19. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I posted similar note on electronics thread. I use a standard Garmin etrex Legend stuffed into a foam block contraption I shaped and attached to my bars. It does not do heart data but reads all speed and distance data and maps route too if that is what you want.

I'm too cheap (poor) to spend what it would take for a specific instrument. My hiking GPS is great for training. I do not worry about it not being areo. I do not race with it in place.

Total cost including foam block: 125 US dollars.

20. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

You can not beat Sporttracks. Plus it has a few additional features that are cool, like being able to track your equipment useage.