Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At Road Holland, we embrace the ride… not the race. So often we find ourselves snapping the perfect photo along the route that really captures the moment. These photos tell the real story of cycling, something you just don’t see when just focused on a peloton. Got such a photo? Enter it into our Contest!

http://seriousandstylish.com/2012/03/21/introducing-our-bike-photo-contest-everyones-a-winner/

We know you have the photos just sitting there on your hard drive.... why not send them in and try and win some great gear?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Gee if you give a few people a $20 gift certificate for your product, when the true value of a photo for publication should be (sarcasm mode on) just a tiny bit more.

No thanks an even non pros should get paid fair value for the use of their work. Most of these types of contests are bad deals for anyone but the holder of the contest

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Mark, I think it's just a marketing gimmick. I didn't see where they said they were going to do anything with the photos. If you like their clothing, it's an easy way to get $20 off.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I never post pics much of any where unless they r to sell. Many if not most TOS are designed to take the pics you put there and find ways for them to make money without you getting paid. Who would have thought a photographer would want to get paid? Imagine that. Yet so many sites and companies think you ought to be happy with just the pride of being published. Contest r sometimes the worst. To participate u give them commercial rights to the image. They might get thousands of images and build up a database they use as free stock photography, but only pay the top two or three and even then it's not market value. They might sell that image ten times or publish it weekly for years, and if it didn't win the photographer got nothing and likely no credit either

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Interesting. I photographed people, mostly portraits and weddings, plus I did about 600 corporate events. Never entered any contests, but I posted freely on the forums.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I own a bike shop. I give away repairs frequently. I post on forums giving advice, answering technical questions, etc. That knowledge/experience is my "product". Should I stop? I buy lots of images from stock photo sites. Many of those images are only "purchased" maybe 20 times. The photographer gets less than $1 per download. So, there are thousands of people out there selling photos for less than what Road Holland is offering.

I'm biased, though.... I like Road Holland.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Don't hide your light under a barrel. You will sell more pictures if you show some. Do you have a website?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I can't help thinking you haven't got anything to show. Prove me wrong. A chance to promote yourself, if you dare.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm not 5. I am not on the school yard and this isn't the movie the Christmas Story so I could care less about even the triple dog dare. I also do not appreciate being called dishonest.

Lots of people do post on forums, but I choose not to. For people that do weddings it can be useful, but they are usually trying to sell to the person in the photo. Contests few really ever really read the rules.

One of the photo sharing sites changed their TOS claiming the ability to sell your photos unless you specifically told them not to, an few read those rules either. That I think wound up in court

Protecting an image on the net is impossible. There are some things that can help, some thing you can do to learn that its been misused but an image looks good on your site it will look good on some one else's. Lots of people feel different an that's fine. Yet to the poster that posted the dare, do not waste your time with a reply. I won't see it

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Im not five either.

Which site are you talking about? I use Photobucket. Why do you warn about a change in policy then fail to name the site you are warning us about? Are you here to offer any advice or only to gain from our knowledge?

I have not questioned your honesty, but you seem to have done so.

·
63 Posts
I'm not 5. I am not on the school yard and this isn't the movie the Christmas Story so I could care less about even the triple dog dare. I also do not appreciate being called dishonest.

Lots of people do post on forums, but I choose not to. For people that do weddings it can be useful, but they are usually trying to sell to the person in the photo. Contests few really ever really read the rules.

One of the photo sharing sites changed their TOS claiming the ability to sell your photos unless you specifically told them not to, an few read those rules either. That I think wound up in court

Protecting an image on the net is impossible. There are some things that can help, some thing you can do to learn that its been misused but an image looks good on your site it will look good on some one else's. Lots of people feel different an that's fine. Yet to the poster that posted the dare, do not waste your time with a reply. I won't see it
+1 :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts