Great news for pro cycling!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Xela, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

That is HUGE, cyclists are the most drug tested athletes in the world and get the most grief about it. I'm glad it is coming around...I hope it keeps up,Euskatel-Eskadi needs to take not...
    DrB

2. Cycle

Cycle Guest

Why is there so much dope in professional Cycling?

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Doping doesn't refer specifically to dope. Basically, it is using any illegal means to boost performance. Specifically, and recently, it is mostly tied to blood doping. Here is an explanation of that from Wikipedia.

Blood doping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It still doesn't explain why it's such an issue. Blood doping or otherwise you hear more about it in cycling than anywhere else. Which still begs the question why?

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Doping happens in all pro sports. It just seems like it's especially prevalent in cycling due to the high level of testing and scrutiny by the governing bodies.
    I don't think another sport exists that tests their athletes 100% if they win an event as is done for stage winners in the TdF.

Imagine if major league baseball or the NFL tested all athletes who won a game and then suspended any that tested positive for steroids. Both would be out of business.

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Great response, Hophead!

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I guess cyclists might be more prone to doping since they are enduring physical activity over a much longer stretch of time compared to a football player or baseball player. Whole different ballpark.

8. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I agree, great response Hophead. There is testing in other sports, they just cover it up and nobody knows about it, if they were as open as cycling, their precious sport/jobs would be in danger.

It is so frustrating to see how many athletes have tested positive in the past, but results were never made public until much later, usually after the athlete retires.:mad:

DrB

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That answers that. I didn't realize they tested everyone. Thanks Hophead

10. newman

newman Guest

If they are able to smoke herb and compete then let them they will probably screw up :p

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Probably not. People who make it to that echelon of competiiton with herb are not slouches.