Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I work as a freight biker in Washington DC. I've recently begun riding centuries. My first was in May and I've done a total of five. The longest was 198 miles. All but the first included unpaved sections, on the C&O canal towpath and a few country roads. I have two hybrids and a mountain bike. I've done century rides on all three bikes.

My biggest load today

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Greetings, welcome to Two Spoke. I'm in MD now as well, up in Bel Air. How did you get to be a freight biker?
Thanks for the welcome! I'm in PG just outside the district line.

How I did it was to get bored with messengering after twenty years, hitch a trailer to my bike and switch my radio to the car channel. :)

The reason most freight bikers are in India ad China is because those are places you can afford to live on what this job pays. :(

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee thanks. What exactly do you find so undesirable about it? People tell me every day how cool my trailer is and I'm often asked where they can get one. If it is the bicycle you feel is not worth stealing, I sort of agree but I've had much less expensive models stolen. You'd be surprised what people will steal. The bicycle actually cost more than the trailer!

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Sweet set up, that would be a job for me but I don't think Colorado Springs is a big enough town for business to get their head around the idea of "delivery via bike", :( And of course I just got rid of my old Jamis MTB, I turned into "Frankenbrid", which would have been the perfect "hauler" bicycles, RATS!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sorry qmsdc15 if my comment about someone stealing your bike was taken the wrong way! I was musing that someone stealing something that they had to work haul like the trailer would not be too likely. I think your setup is great and looks to be totally appropriate. If I were in the market to steal a bike, I would want one that I didn't have to work so hard to get away with. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts