Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email after registering asking that I introduce myself. Here goes.

I am looking to get back into biking after a ten year break. I had a serious foot problem and peddling with one foot just was not working. Figuring I would not ride any more I sold the bike. It was a road bike that took me many miles down dirt, gravel and sand paths it really was not designed for with it's 3/4" wide tires pressured to 90 pounds.

My foot did heal after years of work and therapy and now I am looking to get back on the saddle. Speaking of which has changed a lot. Now they look like they are supposed to fit in you rather than under. Sorry, I digress; now I am out looking again, taking the lessons of the past I have narrowed my search to what is becoming called the 29's. I have test road the a trek and specialized basically the same bike and I am told made in the same factory. Both handled well but felt like there was a lot of frame flex. They did help me decide to narrow my search even further to only the full suspension types. No one seems to have the canondale available for riding but I was told that has the most flex of all the 29's. Last week I road a Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon fiber. Now that is a bike; no flex in the body at all, a ride that is smooth yet not bouncy. Not by any means an expert in bikes, but this one liked me and I liked it.

More about me, well I am an engineer for mostly but not limited to nuclear, cryogenics, compression and control systems. As you already know I live in California. My other bike is a 2011 BMW K1600GTL and my car an 07 Honda Civic Ex Nav. I have an 04 Waverunner for the water. It seems, with the exception of the Honda I like to straddle things that go fast.

I hope to find in this forum information, friends, riding and buddies to help me get back to peddling my way around once again.

·
1,200 Posts
welcome, sure you'll find the friends, riding buddies and information here... lol and btw your occupation: you lost me after "engineer"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bonesindustries said:
welcome, sure you'll find the friends, riding buddies and information here... lol and btw your occupation: you lost me after "engineer"
Yes well it lost me too, years ago, but it pays the bills and gets me around to see things. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Welcome Radjin.There a few 29er folks in here. I'm sure you will find something. I'm curious what it was that made you decide to go FS vs a hardtial?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bikes ability to roll over anything and smooth it out for a much nicer ride. Gives one the ability to go longer in better comfort. My friend says that it allows more options in riding especially if they have rear lockout. Most of all after riding a few different types I find the FS to be more to my liking.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Welcome and happy trails :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome to Two Spoke! Glad your foot has healed and you are once again ready to ride. You will find no shortage of information on this forum...most of it good information for biking but a lot of it is great for putting a smile on your face!!

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Welcome to TwoSpoke! Where in Cali are you located? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awinter said:
Welcome to TwoSpoke! Where in Cali are you located? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The valley. Right in the middle between the fantastic sierras and the cool bay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
robnadeau13 said:
Welcome! I'm in north San Diego county... at least for four more weeks if you want to try and get together
I'm a bit north of you. Haven't been to San Diego since 2001.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts