Greetings from Mass.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mandrake, Apr 12, 2010.

1. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Hey All,

Decided I needed some exercise so I bought a Trek 7300 hybrid and started riding. Coming up on 50 and thought I'd retire the motorcycle for a while and give peddaling a go. Have taken 2 short rides (2.5 miles) and my legs are tired. Guess i'm a bit out of shape.

Can anyone recommend a softer seat alternative for me?

Thanks

2. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

Welcome to the forum. The Trek is a nice bike you will enjoy it. Just keep taking those short trips and you will get there.

3. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Welcome from MA as well. Go Sox Go C's.

You wearing bicycle pants? Great investment, after the bike itself

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi from the swamp. give that seat a chance to harden you up :D

5. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Welcome! Everyone has given great advice. Got'a get those sit bones calloused a bit and nothing but time in the saddle will do that for ya. A good pair of riding shorts would be a great investment but be prepared to pay for a good pair ! I started in much the same scenario as you! I remember my first 10 mile ride, crazy. Give it a chance the legs will come around fairly quickl :D

6. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

7. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Welcome to the forum....good to more people from MA finding TwoSpoke

8. Techninja

Techninja New Member

Welcome, These guys know a Whole lot more than me bout the pants and such but I can suggest checking into seats with a wider seat and springs in and under it. I dunno any brands and such don't even know what is on mine anymore because it's been around a few days lol but I do know the difference in the basic seats and that one lol

9. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Welcome, did you ever find a new seat?

10. bikenewengland

bikenewengland Bike New England

The first two miles are the hardest for everyone, because your circulation isn't going yet. Start out easy, spinning not pushing.

Hard plastic and big ass soft seats are both bad. Get one with firm support under the "sit bones" and that split down the middle for the private parts. Serfa, Terry and other manufacturers all have similar products like this.

Keep riding-- you'll get strong. I rode across the country with a group of people , some of whom had never ridden before they decided to join the fundraiser. Within a couple of weeks, we were all able to put in 60-100 miles each day. Read more about that ride at Big Ride Across America | cycling United States .

11. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Get measured for a seat. And then good luck. Seats fit everyone differently. I like my Selle.

12. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Welcome aboard - again. Plenty of New Englanders here. Enjoy. :cool:

13. schoolteacher001

schoolteacher001 Hill Lover

I use a gel seat cover on my Trek 4300 Mountain bike. It helps a lot. Makes buying lots of "bike" shorts unnecessary. I got one at Target for around $10.