Group ride etiquette

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Grape Ape, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I had not thought of it until BlazingPedals made the folowing comment in the RAGBRAI thread

Now I have ridden with others but it is mostly friends just banging around. I have also ridden in groups on motorcycles and each group has a sort of set plan as to how they interact and ride together.

I know each small group of people who regularly ride together work itout as to how they ride.

What I would like to see addressed is group riding etiquette. Stuff that should be a basis for all rides with all types and sizes of groups to help a person avoid angering others or causing injuries and wrecks. What does a person have to do? In a small group of friends you can set the protocol before the ride but what if you are in a very large group?

I am asking for basics but basics that must be followed in every multiperson ride.

2. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

group rides

I personally like riding alone. But these are basic rules that everyone must follow in any group ride. These rules are standard for all group rides no matter who you are riding with. riding with your friends or riding with 5,000 other people the rules are the same.

Stay alert at all times.
    Hold your line.
    Don’t overlap wheels.
    Don’t look back!
    Relax!
    Focus on the rider(s) ahead.
    Beware of pot holes in the road.
    Don’t brake unless absolutely necessary.
    Pass carefully.
    Always move through the pace-line at a steady pace and maker sure you are clear of the front rider before pulling off.
    verbal communication (passing on your right, pot hole, Car,stop)
    Be prepared. Make sure you have enough water, food and equipment to fix problems with your bike.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010

3. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Well, for the MS-150 our team is putting us through a bicycle safety training course - 2 hours classroom work and 1-1/2 hours on the bike.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It seems like on majoe events they would establish rules for organization. Whenever I play pickup games, for instance, they usually shout the rules at me before we start.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Thats a great idea....I did the MS150 last year in RI and it was the largest ride (as far as amount of people) I had ridden. There was some seriously scarry moments with some of the riders.

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I think it is important for the inexperienced riders to ask questions. I remember when I first started riding with groups, I never asked questions that I should have; and I got burned....pissing off a few people along the way. I think experienced riders should identify those less experienced and try and coach them along (positively). It will make for a safe ride for everyone.

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've found I have issues with other cyclist on the road. If we are both in the bike lane and I'm moving faster what do you do?

9. Xela

I would say give an audible warning you are approaching, such as "on your left" and pass them on their left.

10. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

jagon, your input all makes sense except for one. "Don't look back" Why?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I could, and did, ring my bell continuously at times (bells are great to have for several reasons) but there were always more than a few who pulled to the left abruptly at 12 mph, just begging someone to take them out. To them, anyone going over 14 mph is a "racer" and of course going fast was the real problem, because "it's a tour, not a race." You'll see that argument a lot in the RAGBRAI forum. Being clueless might be excusable if you're alone on a MUP, but not when you're sharing the road with 15000 other cyclists, all trying to do a speed they consider 'normal.' Even when I was cruising at 25 mph, I always checked behind me before pulling out to the left. After all, Lance was on the ride, somewhere behind me. ;)

I think about 30% of the cyclists on RAGBRAI have less than 100 miles under their belts for the year.

12. eaton

eaton New Member

I take a quick glance to my rear sides sometimes. Two examples I can think of are when we're in a crossing wind or I need to pull off the front.

Be careful about getting into a paceline in an organized event.

13. Xela

Absolutely. I saw what should have been a spill, except it was prevented by some amazing bike handling, less than a mile into last year's Tour De Cure. Someone yelled "car-up" which another rider apparently interpreted as "grab your brakes as hard as you can" creating a quite interesting domino effect behind him.

14. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

The reason why you don't look back is for the same reason you don't brake sudden movements effect other riders. Most people especial new riders will look back and their bikes will lose control and swerve. These rules are not written in stone they are just a guide to help you on your ride. If you become aware of your surrounding before you stop or look back then the rules have done their job.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

When ever I look back I always drift unintentionally in what ever direction I'm looking. Checking out the girls on campus has proven this time and again. I could only imagine on a group ride the effect would be worse (the drift not the girls).

16. Brazenboy

Brazenboy New Member

....now I know you favor your right-side, right? Those fresh birthmarks all along the right side of your leg and arm..... Lol.

17. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I had a slight disagreement with a VW Bug when I was in the fifth grade by doing this. It's hard to hold your line when looking over your shoulder and I tend to drift left. I read that making multiple very quick glances is better than trying to make one long informed look.

Me? I use a mirror anytime I'm on the road.

18. Brazenboy

Brazenboy New Member

I like that stuff about food and song.

..... it's just that these days u need a lot of diamonds - so you don't end up alone searching for that gold to afford the food and water.

19. TRAILBLAZER86

TRAILBLAZER86 New Member

I do all those except the look back which I do from time to time. To me this is common sense. I use defensive skills cause sometimes runners and bikers on the trails sometimes aren't paying attention and someone's got to look out for them.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Not yet but close.