Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what happens when you're flying down a descent coming up on a hard right turn and you stay on the front brakes about a half second too long?

Give up? The short answer. You bus yo arse. That's what. For the first time ever, I think... I took an endo on a bike. Wasn't as enjoyable as I had imagined it would be :)

Not totally sure if I was still on the brakes, or I just hadn't scrubbed off enough speed but the ground was still damp from rains a couple days ago and the minute I turned into the corner, the front tire started to slide, the handle bars turned 90 degrees and me and bike went flying. It happened so fast. I was on the ground before I knew what happened.

Probably going to put a dampener on my planned road ride tomorrow. Got a big ole raspberry on the side of my leg, my right calf feels like someone slammed it with a hammer and both knees are bruised up. But all in all I came out pretty well. Nothing broken or bleeding, well not much.

Maybe I should stick with road riding...

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Maybe I should stick with road riding...
Naaa! I crashed going up hill last week, bent my new front drailuer, banged the knees and right side up a well cuz i couldn't unclip fast enough! It was really a hill we had no business even trying to climb...we tried just for fun. 3 tried and 3 fell.

Sides endos be great fun! Letz ya know you are alive:eek:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front disk brakes are dragging. Wonder if I bent something in the front end. It's up on the work stand but haven't had a chance to look.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get 8 good miles of single track in. Well, I got 6 good miles in. The last 2 not as much fun.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Glad your ok!
No bloody photos for us to admire?? Sup wit dat? :)

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
Glad you're OK. You did have your gloves on, right?

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you're OK. You did have your gloves on, right?
Always, and darn good thing I did too. The section of trail I crashed on is known as the 'Rocks Of Doom'.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You need to crash more. It's a great way to build your bike handling skills.
The irony of it is that I was pushing myself to catch up to the guy ahead of me so I could follow him and learn (hopefully) some good riding techniques. FAILED!!

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Glad you're OK, endos are no fun.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Glad you're OK, endos are no fun.
Speak for yourself. With all my years of BMX and MTB riding, I have turned them into an art form. On my first ride with a front disc, I used a bit too much lever at the bottom of a steep and narrow technical trail. Witnesses described it as poetry in motion, the way my legs went out to clear the bars and one hand went back to grab the seat before it hit me in the head. Of course, that sort of muscle memory can only come from going over the bars dozens, if not hundreds of times...

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OxypOx8Id0[/ame]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's awesome! I've got the first half of that mastered ;-)

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
Always, and darn good thing I did too. The section of trail I crashed on is known as the 'Rocks Of Doom'.
Ouch! I have a problem of not carrying enough speed up hills and in rock gardens. been there, done that, found myself looking back at my bike upside down.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucky you didn't break anything (bike or body part).
Jury is still out on the bike. I've loosened up the caliper bolts, pulled the brake level and tightened up the bolts while the brake is still pressed. That's supposed to re-align the caliper to the rotor, but it's still dragging slightly. All replaceable parts though, so not the end of the world if I can't get it straightened out.

Just glad all the body parts are all intact. Less sore today than I expected to be.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally put the bike on the work stand last night to see what's up with the front brake scrubbing and I know the answer. I bent the front rotor... and front rim :eek:

I'd be more upset if they were aftermarket wheels, but was sort of wanting lighter wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts